About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You must be very proud, Bran! I hope they "gol" all the way!!! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, go, the Netherlands! (Sorry, don't know the team name.) I was just reading where Ghana lost a heartbreaker. I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.

(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I included a pun in my post, so it's all good Jackie :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laugh Thanks on behalf of the Netherlands team. The orange that swallowed the crocodile. ( A Gazeta Esportiva, São Paulo ) So sorry Ghana lost. They were thàt very close. Holland-Ghana would have been nice.@twosleepy. Got the puns. laugh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.
(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

What I like about soccer is that you can see the players in their real shape, not wrapped up in matrasses, pads, helmets and other furniture ( specially when they are wink worth looking at ). Yes, U.S was doing vey well for a country that considers soccer is for sissies.

About language: Once more it is funny to remark that a winning teams is referred to as "we". When they lose they directly become "they". I heard someone say "I". "I prefer to play against a team like.... " He was a spectator, not a player.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/06/10 08:31 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

What I like about soccer is that you can see the players in their real shape, not wrapped up in matrasses, pads, helmets and other furniture ( specially when they are wink worth looking at ). Yes, U.S was doing vey well for a country that considers soccer for sissies.

About language: dzoof!

Last edited by BranShea; 07/06/10 08:30 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, MAN--what a heartbreaker for the Orange! They made 2 or 3 bad shots and had two good ones knocked away. However, if Spain had made all their bad shots they'd have had about seven points, I think--they really had some poor ones.
One of the announcers, whoever he was, revealed himself as a master of understatement when he said after a Spaniard let an opportunity go by: "That would have been a magnificent goal...had it been forthcoming".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Man smile --they were the better and the fitter one for the occasion. And we missed the luck we needed. Like the saying goes: 'You never know how the ball will roll'. They gave it the best they could.At least we all can act normal again.
Hurray!
For twosleepy . Congratulation on your birthday!! I saw the little cake this night and thought your birthday had just started. It was very late. Time-confusion.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/12/10 10:22 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was a bit disappointed; it looked like they were trying to win through intimidation with all those yellows - and it ended up costing them in the end.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There 's a lot of critisism coming in, also by our own commentaters. I suppose they are right, I have missed large parts of it, as I find these type of events too impressive and I confess I listen from a distance without looking. I missed the goal, I missed the kickbox move; I just saw the sad end. But I rely on what Cruyff says, he's an expert- that it was an ugly finale.
I watched the comments right now and know a lot more about what went on. I liked the Spain-Germany match which I watched completely.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/12/10 05:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith