Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#190180 03/26/10 04:14 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
When studying the grammar of a language, one task is to identify different word forms (morphology) and word classes (lexical categories, parts of speech). So, then, does English have a gerund (verbal form)? Many would probably answer this question in the affirmative, but I say "no, it doesn't". What is a gerund? Well, it's a verbal form in Latin (and it does occur in other languages) that is one way to noun a verb (mark verbal nominalization). In Latin grammar, there are actually two different grammatical forms with slightly different names: the gerund and the gerundive. The former is a verbal noun and the latter a verbal adjective. Latin also has a present participle, which is a different kind of verbal adjective. Let's take a look at the forms:

Verb: amo, amare, amavi, amatus 'to love'.

Present participle: amans 'loving' as in a loving parent.

Gerund: amandi 'of loving' (with loving as a noun); the gerund does not occur in the nominative in Latin grammar, so the genitive form is cited.

Gerundive: amandus 'loving' (as an adjective).

Now for English.

Verb: love.

Present participle: loving (adjective).

Gerund: loving (noun).

I would analyze English grammar as having an -ing form, and describe how adjectives can be nominalized by zero morphology (aka nouning the verb or using an adjective as a noun). It doesn't really help much to posit a different verb form (the gerund), which is identical in its morphology to another form (the present participle). To be truthful, the roman grammarians were guilty of this multiplying of terminology, because the difference between the gerund and the gerundive in Latin is not one of outward marking, but of the changing of word classes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As I understand less than half of it, I'd like to ask some questions.

*Present participle: amans 'loving' as in a loving parent.

Gerund: amandi 'of loving' (with loving as a noun); the gerund does not occur in the nominative in Latin grammar, so the genitive form is cited.

*Gerundive: amandus 'loving' (as an adjective).

1.Present participle: amans 'loving' as in loving parent and Gerundive: amandus 'loving' (as an adjective): What's the difference as you say they are both adjectives.

English, Gerund: loving (noun).

2.Do you mean: the loving, the talking, the writing, the fighting
and so on?

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
1.Present participle: amans 'loving' as in loving parent and Gerundive: amandus 'loving' (as an adjective): What's the difference as you say they are both adjectives.

Ah, yes, I knew I'd forget something. It's complicated, but the whole story is here. The gerundive tends to be used instead of the present participle when the verbal noun takes an object: e.g., consilium urbem capiendi 'a design of taking the city'. It also used with the meaning of something that is supposed to happen. As with Cato's famous catch phrase in the Roman Senate: Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse (literally, "I also think that Carthage is (something) that ought to be destroyed") "I also think that Carthage must be destroyed."".

English, Gerund: loving (noun).

2.Do you mean: the loving, the talking, the writing, the fighting
and so on?

Yes, like Reading is good, Eating is necessary, etc. There is very little difference semantically between the gerund and the infinitive in English. To read is good, To breath is necessary.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aha, regardless of the whole story, which would take me a year to get through I understand the difference now. Also the nouned verb is clear.

We do have the same two, I think : gerund and infinitive, but the infinitive is always placed at the tail of a sentence.
Het is goed om te eten.

Gerund at the head of a sentence.
Eten is goed

complicated matter

And furthermore I am of the opinion that Carthage should be destroyed. grin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, that's not really how it went. It went: "And yet I am of the opinion that Carthage must be destroyed." That's how it went when for the so maniest time, as students, after long discussions we had once more not solved the problems of the world. One or the other would always say that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It doesn't really help much to posit a different verb form (the gerund), which is identical in its morphology to another form (the present participle).

Except that when it's a gerund it's not a verb anymore. It's a noun.

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Except that when it's a gerund it's not a verb anymore. It's a noun.

I meant differentiating the gerund from the present participle. In English they are identical, and since there's already a more general rule that says nouns can be "derived" from adjectives by zero morphology, I, personally, see no reason to multiple forms. We just call it a gerund because that's the term used in Latin grammar.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So it's a gerund if you call it a gerund but it isn't if you don't? How many legs does a horse have if you call the tail a leg?

And, does the gerund -ing ending have the same origin as the present progressive -ing ending?

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
And, does the gerund -ing ending have the same origin as the present progressive -ing ending?

Maybe, maybe not. In Old English, the present participle and the so-called gerund were both formed by adding -Vnde to the verb. In the late Old English period, these started changing to -ing. There was an ending -ung, -ing, that formed verbal nouns, cf. Gyrstandæg ic wæs on huntunge ("heri fui in venatione" / "yesterday, I was a-hunting"). Because there might have been two different forms in Old english is no excuse for there to be two different (but identical) forms in Present-Day English. This is like saying that English inflects for case, but that the nominative, dative, and accusative cases have the same forms. (It seems related to the etymological fallacy.)

But hey, if you want both a gerund and a present participle in English, more power to you. Why not let's have a supine, too? In fact, there might be more of an argument for the supine: cf. the infinitive in English, e.g., love, with the supine to love.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Arnold Zwicky on when parts-of-speech-hood (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith