#26927 04/20/01 05:54 PM
A
Aji Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
HI all.
I'm a freshman in the university and I m Chinese.I've learning English for some years so that i can read it with a fairly good comprehension.But the most disturbing thing in English for me is the listening. Because i m a chinese,we Chinese don't pronunciate a single consonant with a vowel or vowels.That is ,we dont have double used or triple used consonants such as 'cl' 'fl'---i think they pronunciate a little fast for me , though i can still distinct the sounds and recognize the word. but the most annoying thing for me is the final consonants which enunciate very well.such as 'swab, swad, swath' 'late, laid,lake'if the consonant sound emitted very near, of course, i can distinguish them. but if the sound emitted more the 10 meters or more, i cant distinguish 'life show'(just give an example) from' live show' .when a person is shouting out,i cant seperate 'help' from 'hell' 'type' from 'tide' 'tie'
would u guy whose native language is English give me some advices or tips for me to overtake this difficulty?
THANKS SINCERELY

#26928 04/20/01 09:02 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Aji: Look for a private message.

#26929 04/21/01 01:35 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Aji, welcome Aboard. While I am happy to welcome you, I am unable to provide reassurance as to your problem, except ot say that even native English speakers may often have the same difficulty. There are some members of this Board who are, or appear to be, reasonably familiar with Putonghua, and I hope that one of these people may be of more assistance. Please stay around and see what developsfrom your query. I am sure you will find this site useful and informative.

#26930 04/21/01 02:47 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Hello, Aji, and welcome!

That's a tremendous undertaking, adapting to a language environment so different from your own. I admire you. My own experience, going from one European language to another, was not nearly so extreme. There were, however, a number of sounds I could not distinguish in speech. At first, I often mispoke or misunderstood. My only practical advice is to avoid others who share your mother tongue. Immerse yourself in English. Speak only English, read only Enlish and liisten only to English. You will get a lot of headaches, and your brain will stop working at the end of the day, but you will learn to distinguish the sounds you are having trouble with. And please, stay with us on the board.

#26931 04/21/01 03:44 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Hello, Aji!

Do you live in a country where English is commonly spoken? If there is a class such as English as a second language (ESL) near you, perhaps you could learn to hear the sounds better there.

I have a friend who used to teach English in Hong Kong, who might be able to help you. Unfortunately, she is in the UK right now, and I am in the United States. I will ask her advice upon her return.

Best Regards,

Geoff

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have listened very closely for ommited consonant sounds from the pronunciation habits of different speakers, and aside from the differences in the "dialects" of English's throughout the world, it seems obvious that a familiarity with the most common context of words will, once acheived, fill in the missing sounds, and allow one to know the intended meaning/word. Very few people pronounce all of the scripted sounds.

This is similar to the how one's brain and eyes communicate when watching an animated cartoon - essentially "filling in" or "smoothing over" the "steps"... making it a "ramp".

#26933 04/21/01 03:45 PM
A
Aji Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I am sorry that i had made some mistakes in my expression which i think might make contracdition,though I think that you understand what i pointed out. thank you very much for all ur kind responses.

#26934 04/21/01 04:30 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Aji, Welcome!
The hard-of-hearing share your problem with word endings and sound-alike words.
There is a universal gesture to show you did not understand : simply cup your hand around your ear and look puzzled! Works every time.
New Englanders (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, especially) are notorious for swallowing the ends of words and also for dropping their voices at the end of sentences. A difficult place to live for the hard-of-hearing but a bit of acquired lip reading helps!
Look in a mirror and notice how the mouth forms the word. Perhaps a native English speaker would help you out.
Best of luck.
Do stay with us.
wow

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 917 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith