About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JRS #188739 01/14/10 03:36 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JRS, I admit to being a bit surprised myself at that: Anu is not known here for making provocative statements. But I figure since it's his web site he's allowed to say what he wants to.

Edit: I should add that it is not up to us to discuss here what he should/should not have in his Words A Day; and that if any of us has a complaint we'd probably do better by writing to him directly.

Last edited by Jackie; 01/14/10 03:38 AM.
JRS #188743 01/14/10 01:55 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted By: JRS
Anu Garg wrote, "The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people."

I found your quote to be highly inappropriate and a blatant misuse of the Wordsmith venue now used to communicate your brazenly obvious position on religion. I am not a religious person, I have found relationship with Jesus and Christian-centered spirituality. However, your lack of respect is offensive to countless thousands who can now choose to pray for you.

I find your reply and the one opening this thread quite interesting... and also a blatant proof of what Anu wrote (I'm not sure whether those are his words & thoughts or if he just quoted someone).

First, you centralise on your Faith and religion whereas Anu points to the fact that there are (and have been) so many different religions that they did divide mankind.
Second, I believe there is a difference between one's faith, a (any) religion and a (one out of so many) church... and then there are the many sects within religions.

Each, of course, claiming to be Right, to have found the absolute and unique Truth. Each proclaiming that all the others have to abandon their (faith, beliefs ?) and join-in...

And last... Please give the entire quote...

Anu Garg wrote:
Quote:
"The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people.
My religion is better than yours. My god true, yours false. What, we have the same religion? No problem, my sect is better than yours.
"

It is (may be) his opinion, and he has every right to hold it.
I happen to share his view, but I don't mind if many don't.

And by the way... more things separate us...
I don't share your faith, I am not a Christian (though I respect their point of view), and I don't feel the need to advocate my faith or force my beliefs upon others.

One thing unites us (in French "relier", has most probably a relation to "religion")... we like words.
And your post also moved me to join on this forum and express my point of view instead of remaining passive.

Have a nice day
Serge

PS: my apologies to all the readers who feel that this subject didn't deserve an answer (they're probably right) and to all those who feel that we shouldn't discuss Religion on this forum (you're most definitely right).

1 = 0 #188744 01/14/10 02:16 PM
veteran
veteran
Kudos to Anu.

old hand
old hand
I think it is wrong to state that we don't discuss religion on this board, since a quick search of terms related to religion will get many hits. People are free to express their views, and have done so, but may not receive any replies, which is fine. For me, the important thing is that we do not promote any religion at all. Sort of a "separation of word and state" kind of thing.

I do feel that Anu's statement is provocative, and I'm not surprised that many have spoken up about it. I have no problem with them doing so, and don't think anyone else should, either. So far, no one has said anything promoting his/her religion (simply mentioning it doesn't qualify, to me) so I think it's all fine and civil. Pushing anti-religion is equally as wrong as pushing religion, imho. :0)

twosleepy #188752 01/14/10 04:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
again, if it's Anu's views that bother you, take it to the man; he doesn't participate in these fora. (there's a feedback link below.)

1 = 0 #188757 01/14/10 08:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome 1 = 0. I think no matter what you gave a well nuanced answer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith