Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
stranger
stranger
S
Websters gives the following definition for censor: an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter

Websters gives the following definition for editor: a person who alters, adapts, or refines especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose

These two definitions are very similar, but the word censor carries a lot of negative connotation. In the case of Catholic publications, the "objectionable matter" is opinions or facts that are contrary to the Catholic faith.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree with the previous comment that it is not really correct to connect Imprimatur with censorship in the sense of halting publication. It really applies to content. I would rather have seen Mr Cameron's book published separately as a point by point commentary. I guess we are all searching for the "truth"; but as Pilate said to Christ...Quid est Veritas.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I do not think Mr. Cameron is honest enough to publish a book refuting Darwin's theory on it's own. He has to resort to trickery by publishing an edition of the book with a very biased introduction.

Hopefully, most people will skip over the introduction.

journeyman
journeyman
My first job was working in a library. One of my duties was to repair books that had pages removed or damaged by patrons. This was particularly difficult if the book was out of print. We would obtain a copy from another library and proceed to photocopy the missing pages or material and then glue in the replacement pages to the spine of the book. Mind you this was in the day photocopies were negative images. The books did look strange. I guess you could say we were grangerizing that which had been grangerized.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess it was, sort of. I'm really amazed that there ís a word for this complex mutilation/illumination of books. It is an verbed eponym, is it? Eponyms are very handy words in this that they can contain so much in one word. Does English make more use of eponyms than other languages?

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
verbed eponym Now, that is interesting (she said, after someone else pointed it out). I wonder how it came to be that, instead of (to be) grangered?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wonder how it came to be that, instead of (to be) grangered?

Luck of the draw. They who coin a word get to coin it as they see fit.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Of COURSE "nihil obstat" and "imprimatur" refer to censorship! Have you never heard of Galileo?? Better yet, have you never heard of The Enlightenment? The essence of Catholism is the denial of opposing thought! DO recall the old joke about St Peter tiptoeing by the room filled with Catholics, explaining that "They think they're the only ones here!" As soon as I saw that the topic was censorship, I expected "nihil obstat" and "imprimatur"!

KNiZ #186988 09/28/09 12:35 PM
veteran
veteran
There must have been some difference between how the word "imprimatur" is used today and how it was used in the past. I was just rereading the section of "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations," by David Landes wherein he discusses the use of the term during the inquisition and times thereabout - and his description agrees with that of KNiZ.

P. 180
'Any thoughts of ending the Inquisition were shelved, and Church and civil authorities joined to control thought, knowledge, and belief. In 1558, the death penalty was introduced for importing foreign books without permission and for inlicensed printing. Universities reduced to centers of indoctrination; unorthodox and dngerous books were placed on an Index Librorum Prohibitorum (1557 in Rom, 1559 in Spain), and safe books appeared with an official Imprimatur ("Let it be printed").'

Also,
"Nor were Spaniards allowed to study abroad, lest they ingest subversive doctrine. That same year (1559), the crown forbade attendance at foreign universities except for such safe centers are Rome, Bologna, and Naples."

journeyman
journeyman
Censorship is really government activity. Four Hundred and Fifty years ago, the temporal authorities used churches and religion to secure their own power over the population. I believe it was Henry VIII that said " why should I listen to the Pope quoting me Deuteronomy while the King of Spain has a knife at his throat." Thank God for the wisdom of the writers of the first amendment to the US Constitution. Interestingly enough freedom of religion before the press..."Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 670 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith