Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lyndamj Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I know of only two words of Russian origin(other than food or drink) that have entered the English language. They are:
Intelligentsia
Ukase
Anybody know others; surely there must be some.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Borscht, blintz, knish latke (ultimately from Greek), (all via Yiddish, although some may be Ukrainian in origin), kvass, knout (via French), boyar, tsar (also spelled czar), duma, ruble, pogrom, refusenik (part calque of отказник (otkaznik), glasnost, peristroika, gulag, sputnik, soyuz, samizdat, soviet, Bolshevik, menshevik. Though my favorite Russian loan is Japanese ikura 'salmon roe' < Russian икра (ikra). For more, see Wikipedia article.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
addict
addict
D
Does anyone have a way of defining when a word is officially accepted into a language? For example, from the wikipedia list, I only identify mammoth, bridge, steppe, pogrom, vodka, pavlova and maybe shashlik as being English words. The others are merely Russian words which English speakers use when appropriate.

Similarly, I would consider chauffeur to be an English word from French, joie de vivre to still be french and jus to be somewhere in the middle (it has caused no end of Scrabble arguments).

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Does anyone have a way of defining when a word is officially accepted into a language?

Only the french and if i understand it the answer is simply jamais.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Does anyone have a way of defining when a word is officially accepted into a language?

The short answer is no. Most people cannot even agree on a definition of what a word is, let alone at what point an immigrant is naturalized. Many of the words I cited were used during the Cold War (and at its end) in Anglophone newspapers without an accompanying (parenthetical) definition or explanation. It may be in these new-fangled times they have slipped into archaitude. Not every user of a language has the complete lexical inventory at her tongue-tip.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at what point an immigrant is naturalized. When it gets a green card? whistle

Not every user of a language has the complete lexical inventory at her tongue-tip. That's why I'm so glad I know you, Honey!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Exactly. I agree on that. I alway consider those that are called loanwords to be borrowed and still foreign words in whatever language has them in loan. As long as they stay untransformed it still are French, Russian, Italian, German you name it, even if they have long been accepted in official dictionaries.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I alway consider those that are called loanwords to be borrowed and still foreign words in whatever language has them in loan.

Yes, once they get respelled or repronounced that's usually a pretty good indication that they've been around for a while. So, hoosgow 'jail' < Spanish juzgado 'tribunal' < 'judged'. But what about words like German Brutto 'gross' or Netto[/i] 'net' (in the economic sense). They used to be Italian, but that language doesn't even use brutto anymore for 'gross' but lordo. But another part of it is how familiar are most speakers with the term. If I can use a word without footnoting it for my interlocutors then it's pretty much a native English word with all rights thereto.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
il Buono, il Brutto ed il Cattivo. (ah, good movie)
My Kramer Italian dictionary gives brutto still for brutto weight as well as for ugly. It doesn't give any lordo, but then it isn't the fattest of dictionaries.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 882 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith