About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183988 03/29/09 02:20 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay, I was at a doctor appt. after 2 of my boys had positive strep tests. This was a couple of days later, and I'd had a low-grade fever the day before, and a sore patch developed in my throat. The doc told me he was going to prescribe antibiotics and not bother with a test because of the research indicating most people with family exposure who present with symptoms go on to develop strep, so he would prescribe them, [pause], so I offered "prophylactically", but he rejected it, saying, no, "just in case". So here's my question: "prophylactically", in my understanding, means as a preventive measure. I assume his objection was that I was presumed to be infected already, and therefore the treatment couldn't be preventive. Soooo, is there a word that means "just in case" because it probably is the case? Thanks in advance! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(The word lest is similar to prophylactically.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
P
P
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Okay, I was at a doctor appt. after 2 of my boys had positive strep tests. This was a couple of days later, and I'd had a low-grade fever the day before, and a sore patch developed in my throat. The doc told me he was going to prescribe antibiotics and not bother with a test because of the research indicating most people with family exposure who present with symptoms go on to develop strep, so he would prescribe them, [pause], so I offered "prophylactically", but he rejected it, saying, no, "just in case". So here's my question: "prophylactically", in my understanding, means as a preventive measure. I assume his objection was that I was presumed to be infected already, and therefore the treatment couldn't be preventive. Soooo, is there a word that means "just in case" because it probably is the case? Thanks in advance! :0)

Quite a few years ago, I suffered an episode of rheumatic fever while serving in the Air Force in east-slope Colorado which had back then a high incident of RF. When I was cured, my doctors prescribed a daily dosage of penicillin as a prophylactic against a recurrence of RF or an occurrence of an upper respiratory infection for the duration of my active duty service. They also advised me that I should seek to obtain a post-discharge supply of the same for a minimum of six years. There was a divided opinion. The NY Medical Society recommended a lifetime prophylactic whereas the AMA recommended six years. The VA supplied me with the latter. I therefore took same for a total of nine years. The medication was generally effective, especially after my tonsils were removed about two years after the RF episode. They had become permanently enlarged and showed a susceptibility to infection in spite of the penicillin.

Sorry, I am not sure of the proper word for which you are searching although palliative might be appropriate.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think palliative is quite the right word since it means 'relieving the symptoms without effecting a cure.' Twosleepy's condition was that of possibly having the infection and the doctor's plan seemed to be to cure it if it's there. The unasked question is whether one should trust a doctor who uses terms the layman can understand.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You have it exactly right, Fal. But I don't think he knew a word for "cure it if it's there", and neither do I! I am assuming you don't either, because you didn't offer one, so it looks like a goose chase so far... :0)

P
P
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I don't think palliative is quite the right word since it means 'relieving the symptoms without effecting a cure.' Twosleepy's condition was that of possibly having the infection and the doctor's plan seemed to be to cure it if it's there. The unasked question is whether one should trust a doctor who uses terms the layman can understand.

Well, I won't stir the witch's brew of the argument between homeopathy and allopathy, but since most of modern medicine is allopathic and a "cure" is usually associated with the relief or removal of the symptoms, it would seem to me that palliative might be an appropriate term although there may be a better one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: PastorVon
... since most of modern medicine is allopathic and a "cure" is usually associated with the relief or removal of the symptoms, it would seem to me that palliative might be an appropriate term although there may be a better one.

I ain't sayin' nothin', but, since "without effecting a cure" is part of the definition of palliative I mo assume that it's not the right word. I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.

D
addict
addict
D
Was he prescribing them to be taken immediately? If so, he was doing nothing more than treating a disease early based on a high probability of it's presence and the natural history.

Or was he providing a script, to be filled later if full "strep" symptoms developed? In this case I would use a term like "expectant" (though this often has connotations of a "wait and see" approach, with the expected - but not certain - outcome being death). It was only prophylactic in that it prevented another visit to the doctor.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Palliative, at least in the Canadian medical system, refers to comfort measures and symptom management in terminal illness. As far as I know strep throat is seldom fatal.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith