Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
I'm looking for a quotation regarding the importance of having a huge vocabulary knowledge....
anything has striken you?(from wherever you wnat...better if it is from an author)......

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We could make something up and claim it's from Mark Twain:

"It's important to know a bunch of fancy words. If folks can't understand what you're saying because you're using a lot of foot-and-a-half long words, they'll assume you're really intelligent and they'd better do what you say."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry, I can help you, but some words I like are verbivore, logolept, and (mine own) wordhoarding (< Old English compound word-hord 'vocabulary'). (A thesaurus is literally a 'treasure box'.) The problem with these kinds of neologisms and inkhorn words is that they seldom appear anywhere other than in dictionaries.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"If you are a genuine wordaholic, an authentic logolept, and a certifiable verbivore, you are in for a lifetime of joy." [EA]
-Richard Lederer, The Miracle of Language

-joe cool cool

p.s. - In other words, this second model for the dictionary frees up the word-hoarding poet to modulate meanings, to recover useless linguistic junk, and even (at a certain outer limit) to engage in out-and-out fabrication. - John Kenneth Mackay

Last edited by tsuwm; 02/12/09 02:37 PM. Reason: postscriptum
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: Faldage
We could make something up and claim it's from Mark Twain:

"It's important to know a bunch of fancy words. If folks can't understand what you're saying because you're using a lot of foot-and-a-half long words, they'll assume you're really intelligent and they'd better do what you say."

Bertrand Russell made a similar jest by suggesting that if you want to be a successful philosopher and still write simply and clearly that you must first write a book with impenetrable mathematics - not as practice for yourself, but more as a signal to your audience that you are capable of being just as obscure as the next philosopher.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the word-hoarding poet

Ah, well, I sit corrected.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
unci you might also conduct a search of the WS archive for

dalehileman type-1 type-2

I would perform it for you then provide links but I'm baffled by the WS search algorithm. In short, there's not much value to learning obscure and unfamiliar (type-3) terms because using them regularly will only make you seem snooty. On the other hand, you would benefit from using wherever applicable the more descriptive or apposite (type-2). Of the last there are tens of thousands, familiar to almost everybody but seldom found in everyday conversation (type-1)

Though dividing lines are hazy, where "right on!" "fits," and "suits" might qualify as type-1; "relevant," "apt, or "pertinent" could represent an improvement as type-2; but where "ad rem," "appurtenant," or "cognate" might be more nearly exact, using these type-3 whenever you can only gives you airs

"Apposite" above admittedly falls somewhere between 2 and 3

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith