Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180817 12/10/08 07:51 PM
Aramis Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Here is an excerpt from an obscure unpublished work. A search on a rarely used three-letter word suggested it has not been previously inflicted on any unsuspecting posters until now.

Some songwriters probably could have eliminated a few annoying crossword puzzle terms with a little effort. It is a bit appalling that a song that had to include “o’er” more than once got to be the national anthem of a fairly noteworthy country. Apparently that syllable count thing can be a real strain. Why else would an Andy Williams holiday classic feature the idiotic line “He’ll be comin’ down the chimney down”? I actually looked the thing up to make certain I was not just hearing it wrong. Could it not have gone with “He’ll be coming down the chimney crown,”, or maybe “chimney, round”? Many late-model chimneys are built with round stove pipe. It is not as if my four-inch diameter one could pass a fat man in a fuzzy suit, but it sounds better. Or just maybe he could have sang, “He’ll be coming into Chimney Town.” There, that sings! I just think there must be very few people who have chimneys lined with feather pillow stuffing! Was that last word supposed to imply, “I really do not mean ‘up’ in this sense”? Sorry, Mr. Williams, but if that other song had sounded like “Over the river over and through the woods through to Grandmother’s house we go to”, it would be a crock too! A pox on your syllable count!

"Season's Greetings" wink

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Aramis #180820 12/10/08 09:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My chimney has a cover to keep birds away. They can still roost for warmtn, but they cannot drop things down it causing a fire as they once did. And it is too skinny for the Large Man coming. But no snow yet, so his sleigh-thing may have to depend on helicopter, as he flies o'er the city.
Merry Christmas
Happy Chanukah
Happy Kwanzaa

----please, draw me a sheep----
Aramis #180828 12/11/08 02:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an obscure unpublished work. Uh...huh. Gee, I wonder whose? grin

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith