Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#177938 07/04/08 01:38 PM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Quote:
maze n. a network of paths and hedges designed as a puzzle through which one has to find a way.

labyrinth n. a complicated irregular network of passages or paths in which it is difficult to find one's way; a maze

The dictionary treats these words as synonyms. However, reading the Wiki article on Labyrinths today I discovered that a distinction has developed:

Quote:
The term labyrinth is often used interchangeably with maze, but modern scholars of the subject use a stricter definition. For them, a maze is a tour puzzle in the form of a complex branching passage with choices of path and direction; while a single-path (unicursal) labyrinth has only a single Eulerian path to the center. A labyrinth has an unambiguous through-route to the center and back and is not designed to be difficult to navigate.

This is strange. My dictionary tries to tell me that the word labyrinth comes from Daedalus whose maze/labyrinth for the Minotaur was meant to be inextricable.

Down a different path, I've always enjoyed that felicitous connection between a maze and amaze

Hydra #177940 07/04/08 02:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mathematicians have a set of terms which are rigorously defined. That their term labyrinth does not agree to the same term in antiquity has little influence on them. Also, note the use of meant to be in the dictionary definition. Does anybody know if labyrinths in classical times were mazes or labyrinths in the mathematical sense?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Does anybody know if labyrinths in classical times were mazes or labyrinths in the mathematical sense?

I'm not sure.

But maze comes from OE, labyrinth from the Greek. To the fussy-minded, this puts a Minotaur in the labyrinth, inextricably. But perhaps that labyrinth is both unicursal and infinite, or perhaps the time it takes the Minotaur to walk out of it exceeds the Minotaur's life span. In that case, the mathematicians' terminology squares with antiquity.

Hydra #177948 07/04/08 04:29 PM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
That their term labyrinth does not agree to the same term in antiquity has little influence on them.

True. But scientists/mathematicians do draw on literature when naming stuff, and usually get it right. Quark is an obvious example. There are others.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Does anybody know if labyrinths in classical times were mazes or labyrinths in the mathematical sense?

I'd be almost certain that the correct answer to that question is "no."

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
It depends on whether we are talking about real labyrinths or the labyrinths of ancient myth and legend.

Hydra #177988 07/05/08 02:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It depends on whether we are talking about real labyrinths or the labyrinths of ancient myth and legend.

Yes, a more proper question would've been: Does anybody know if any of the extant labyrinths in classical times are mazes or labyrinths in the mathematical sense?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Yes, a more proper question would've been: Does anybody know if any of the extant labyrinths in classical times are mazes or labyrinths in the mathematical sense?

I've only ever heard of one being discovered. On Crete wasn't it? But don't remember what it was like. I don't think ancient legends describe mazes or labyrinths in any detail do they? And how many are there anyway, apart from the minotaur story?

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Wikipedia mentions both the labyrinths and mazes of history; but then again, it doesn't seem to stick to the mathematical distinction, using at one point the mathematical-oxymoron: "unicursal maze."

Hydra #178017 07/06/08 07:03 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Hydra
mathematical-oxymoron

I would have thought it's actually just an oxymoron. A 'mathematical oxymoron' would be itself an oxymoron, since oxymoron is not mathematical but a figure of speech. Rhetoric allows delightful ambiquities such as oxymorons, mathematics doesn't - it's either right or wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith