About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
OP Offline
H
herein, the voting results for stylite: Owlbow, BranShea, and tsuwm each collected two votes for their bluffs; while BranShea and Maven guessed the real mccoy — so BranShea can claim the Grand Prize, which is a two-week, no-expense paid stay atop the high column at Hierapolis Bambyce, if she can unearth it. I'm sure that Owlbow and tsuwm will haply give her a hand. {applause}

a) a certain type of Styrofoam [submitted by Jackie ]

b) Unadorned stone tracery forming the structural border of a stained glass window. [Owlbow] twosleepy, Faldage

c) A Greek slave used as a soldier. [Faldage] wofa

d) Agric., jocular : a term used to refer to the illumination of a pig shelter [suggested by twosleepy, mod’ed by the hogmaster]

e) (Old French) a quill; a long wing-feather, used as a pen; often clipped, so that the birds could not fly [wofa]

f) - n - a type of ripstop nylon of extra light nature mainly used for making kites, windsocks, inflatables, banners [BranShea] etaoin, Jackie

g) Fossilized swine feces. [ASp] Owlbow

h) n., a small, pen shaped device used to write on any number of computer connected devices, such as a graphics tablet. Related to stylus, which is typically larger in size. [Maven] ÅΓª╥┐↕§

i) The top echelon of the swine pecking order. [olly]

j) adj. Having the shape or form of a stem or stick. From the Latin, stylus, stilus [twosleepy]

k) a Christian ascetic living atop a pillar [Merriam-Webster] BranShea, Maven

l) light-housekeeping as performed by a bachelor (coined by Dave Barry) [tsuwm] olly, ASp

___

the disclaimers:

o I hesitated using this word due to its inherent armillary® qualities, but I think this factor saved the round, in the event. all of those (other) whimsical entries served to obfuscate the actual (whimsical) def'n.

o The Pook submitted the following entry, "n. a person who sits on a pole, usually as a sign of religious devotion"; he was invited to resubmit but chose instead to sit out (sort of).

o twosleepy included two def'ns, giving me a choice; I altered the second (including it for humorous effect only, as it turns out) -- I justify this departure from the usual practice as filler, in that there were only nine(9) actual entries this time.

o you will have noted (hi ASp!) that I chose not to normalize the entries this time, in accordance with the resounding lack of (much) response, pro or con, in another thread. I think I'll return to my former practice next time.

o if there is a next time.

-30-

the hogmaster™
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Huh? Are you sure? Lovely prize, but the Pook deserves it more than I. And he will sit more comfortable on a pillar than on a pole. (well, it will be nice and quiet up there)
Maven will laugh too when she sees this. (Maven! it was the new style!)
(still can't believe this is the real defintion)

\:\) Yay!

tempus edax rerum
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Huh? Are you sure? Lovely prize, but the Pook deserves it more than I. And he will sit more comfortable on a pillar than on a pole. (well, it will be nice and quiet up there)
Maven will laugh too when she sees this. (Maven! it was the new style!)
(still can't believe this is the real defintion)

I remembered the story of Simon Stylites, an early Eastern Christian monk, who sat atop a pillar for about thirty years I think. I didn't know for sure that a Stylite was someone named after him, but figured that if it wasn't and anyone else knew of him from history they would vote for mine, but then when I was told that my definition was either close to the real thing or to someone elses I figured out that it really was the real definition, so, yes, as hogmaster said I SAT this one out! But it was fun seeing all the daffynitions. The one derived from Hoplite was especially clever. \:\)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not to mention the one that follows coprolite .

-joe (just fossilized) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
I remembered the story of Simon Stylites, an early Eastern Christian monk, who sat atop a pillar for about thirty years

Aha, I remember there was such a figure from the bible, but as he is called Simon de Zuilenzitter (pillar sitter) here, the word stylite did not ring any bell and I bulldozered straight into what I thought to be the fakest of them all.
New words stylite , hoplite, coprolite.

Thanks tsuwm, it was another good round again and an amusing demasqué. Another big laugh for the fantastic prize. If the Pook isn't interested I might still go.

L.) P.S. Definition L is one I still don't know what it means.
Yet it was chosen twice, so it must make sense.

Last edited by BranShea; 04/18/08 09:19 AM. Reason: P.S.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
 Quote:
I remembered the story of Simon Stylites, an early Eastern Christian monk, who sat atop a pillar for about thirty years

Aha, I remember there was such a figure from the bible, but as he is called Simon de Zuilenzitter (pillar sitter) here...

No it is not from the bible. The bible doesn't teach people to do such silly things! The story comes from early church history in around about the fourth or fifth century AD I think.

Quote:
L.) P.S. Definition L is one I still don't know what it means.
Yet it was chosen twice, so it must make sense.

Sty is a pig pen, and lite = light. A bachelor living in a lighthouse...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
no, not quite. a bachelor doing light housekeeping.

distraught mother, upon seeing nest-flown son's digs for the first time: "Oh my, this place looks like a pig sty!"

-joe (lite humor sans bulbs) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
See how tricky \:\) ! If you had written the word without hyphen (like in the dictionary) it would not have confused me at all. I might even have picked that one. Very tricky.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for an enjoyable round.
I’m glad I didn’t win – I’ve suffered enough and need no further penance. I am glad to have collected two invaluable points and I believe my hogwash point average has now risen to 0.071.
Worthless or precious, soon enough all will be coprolite.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero, unless it's Friday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith