About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or maybe not..

"Ah remember his filthy bearded face twisted with terror, his pavid hands trembling, his pathetic sobbing."

-joe (they can't all matter) friday

tsuwm #175772 04/10/08 06:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What are you quoting, tsuwm?

And welcome to you, Cook. We do try to avoid discussions such as yours -- while worthy and interesting and important -- based on past experiences, where more than one such topic has led to, well, a flame war. Our lovely administrator, Jackie, can splain you better than I can.

AnnaStrophic #175775 04/10/08 07:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What are you quoting, tsuwm?

today's citation, for pavid!

-ron o.

tsuwm #175776 04/10/08 07:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oops

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: cookwordsmith
I can definitely respect other's wishes to avoid these discussions. For the record though, the intent was not to stir up a religious argument but rather, discuss taking care of the planet where we all live. Was hoping to find some folks interested in relating the word and quotes originally quoted from Wordsmith.org to real-world issues, which is what I thought was one of the main premises of the A Word A Day distribution (to spark thought about "important" matters).

If I've overstepped the boundaries of this board, please accept my apologies. But please understand that avoiding issues like this doesn't help to get people into critical-thinking-mode and I believe Critical Thinking is exactly one of the principles Mr. Anu Garg thrives on to keep up such an interesting ~14 year endeavor (would obviously need to ask him personally to know for sure). The words and quotes in his compilations clearly tend to be part of a genre of worldly issues and serious matters, not solely for entertainment purposes.

Words like 'Speciesism' contain an inherent invitation to political-philosophical-religious discussion, since the word is coined by people with a particular world view who are pushing a particular philosophical agenda. Despite our best attempts to play with words as neutral, lexical, objective things, in Real Life they have no real meaning apart from their social context. Speciesism is a loaded word. Its meaning goes to the heart of what it means to be human, which is an area of controversy and debate in which religious beliefs are fundamental to the view one takes - there is no neutral ground.

Discussing 'Speciesim' without mention of beliefs regarding the nature of Humanity and our relationship to the whole scheme of things in the universe would be like trying to discuss the word 'padre' without being allowed to talk about Christianity, or the word 'cadre' without being allowed to mention the Communist Party.

On the wider issue of religious and/or political discussion generally, other special interest forums have sections entitled something like "General Chit-Chat" or "Off Topic" where people can post things not directly related to the main reason for the forum. Do we have something like that lurking somewhere? I haven't been round long enough to know.

AnnaStrophic #175783 04/11/08 01:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought so: speciesism was a word offered by the most recent guest wordsmith. Who, according to Anu, generated far and away the most angry responses he's ever had. Aside from the fact that we come here to discuss words, language and the joys/questions thereof, I think we can take a hint from those responses. The world has enough unhappiness and problems; let's keep this a place as free from them as we can; a refuge, in other words. There are plenty of online and real-world places where we can moan and groan.

Yes, Pook, we do sometimes go off-topic, but.

Jackie #175784 04/11/08 02:24 AM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Well, thanks to all for taking the time to add comments to this topic and to explain forum etiquette (as I'm not a frequent forum participant). All feedback is well-received and appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

Jackie #175787 04/11/08 06:19 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
Yes, Pook, we do sometimes go off-topic, but.

I don't think you can end a sentence with but. But you can start one with and. Although you can't end one with and. Or can you but? hmm.

The Pook #175788 04/11/08 07:09 AM
M
M
Ellipsis points expand the possibilities, I find. But it's tempting to let the point at which my words run out become an ellipsis.

Pardon me, all, for drifting into punctuation.

Last edited by morphememedley; 04/11/08 07:16 AM. Reason: unintended redundancy
 Originally Posted By: morphememedley
...But it's tempting to let the point at which my words run out become an ellipsis.

That is a lovely turn of phrase!

tempus edax rerum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith