Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171569 11/24/07 06:52 PM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Do you baulk at this sentence? :

"One day, a scientist will build a computer more intelligent than himself."

It's a difficult problem. "Himself" is the established, albeit frowned upon usage. "Herself" shows you are not sexist, but it is (in my view) toadying. "Themselves", the via media, is not good, because it seems to duplicate the scientist. "Himself or herself" is laborious.

Then I read this in the Oxford Dictionary:

Quote:
The standard reflexive form corresponding to they and them is themselves, as in: they can do it themselves. The singular form themself, first recorded in the 14th century, has reemerged in recent years corresponding to the singular gender-neutral use of they, as in | this is the first step in helping someone to help themself. The form is not widely accepted in standard English, however.

What do you think? About the sentence? About "themself"? About the issue of gender in writing? As a woman? As a man?

Last edited by Hydra; 11/24/07 06:56 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"One day, a scientist will build a computer more intelligent than humans."
(I did not baulk at your sentence though)-(could be a man).
"öne day, scientists will build a computer more intelligent than themselves."

Or must I hang on to that original sentence?

Last edited by BranShea; 11/24/07 07:24 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't balk at it. though I would use themself, or "we will build/ourselves" or some such other thing. or "computers will eventually be built that are smarter than humans".

formerly known as etaoin...
journeyman
journeyman
Do you baulk at this sentence? :

Prior to my marriage to Jill....probably not.

But then, she wants the first person to set foot on Mars to say, " One step for a human, one giant leap for humankind."

Of course I have to remind her that the universe is adorned with many other sentient beings; not human.

This, then, leads to hours of concatenatin' and eventually Ol' Eastcourt having to sleep in the sharn with Hokey, Barbason, and Philpot, our new goat.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with BranShea and eta on this. Resistance to the singular they is futile. Thou mightst as well exhibit resistance to the singular you. If you want to avoid irritating the irritable, recast.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I would use "himself" to avoid the inference that there is a third party which the new computer is more intelligent than

Incidentally I note that lately with reference to the Deity he, him, her, she, etc aren't being capitalized and I wonder if the root cause isn't laziness

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I wonder if the root cause isn't laziness

oh, you mean like not capitalizing the initial letter of a sentence; or, even more egregiously, not closing a sentence with punctuation?

-joe (no points for style) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The non-gender-specific singular use of they has been around for five centuries. It was good enough for Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Austen, and so it's good enough for me. Not only is you plural, but it's the oblique form of ye. One might as well condone saying me read book. Also, they (as well as she) is a borrowing from Norse. The original third person plural pronoun in Old English was hie which was him in the accusative. The pronoun stuck around in colloquial speech, though. When people say things like that'll teach 'em. The apostrophe is probably also a mistake. Many moons ago, I wrote this blog entry on it.

Language does not change because of laziness, foreignness, or youth. It changes because the people speaking and writing it use it in different ways so as to facilitate better communication.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The most important question right now is: Did zmjezhd mantle Faldage or did he add and expand?

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

And one day man-and-womansounkind will learn the nature of the words they speak.

And pertinent to this discussion...

Language transfers information between those who agree upon the symbols that are used to effect the transfer.

So it follows that the rules of language are determined by the useage that most accurately reflects reality in an efficient manner. And a language that lies, doesn't.
Note...

(1) Ninety-one percent of computer scientists are men. [and for you ladies who find math confusing] That means that only nine percent of computer scientists are women.

(2) And some computer scientists are bi-sexual and some are transexuals who once were men but now are women and so forth.

(3) The great god that is Google reports...

433,000,000 ghits "himself"
230,000,000 ghits "herself"

3,000,000 ghits "male computer scientist"
1,600,000 ghits "female computer scientists"

So as to the sentence quoted by Hydra: "herself" is possesive and misleading. "theirselves" is possesive and numerically inconsistent. "themselves" is numerically inconsistent.
And "hisself" is a possessive term that is accurately understood only by rednecked folk in the American South.

It was in 1957 at 11:45 AM Central Standard Time - before the advent of the prissy Word Inquisition by academicians who decreed that it was foul words and not foul deeds that kept life from being jolly - that the word "HIMSELF" was appointed to stand for each member of mankind when speaking abstractly rather than particularly, as was "HISSELF" which only could be spoken without reprimand in the deep American South.

Or...

If you happen to be in a hurry you can just read what zmjezhd wrote.

Last edited by themilum; 11/25/07 05:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 937 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith