Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Maven Offline OP
OP Offline
Which is also International Talk Like a Pirate day!

Drink hearty, me maties!

tempus edax rerum
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Mav, I'll discuss drinking heartily with anyone interested. I am dalehileman@verizon.net and evidently don't care who knows it

Edited to indicate my reference is to The Brew (beer, ale, etc, not to grog as described below)

Last edited by dalehileman; 09/20/07 03:58 PM.

dalehileman
H
stranger
stranger
H
Interestingly, the definition I know of grog is slightly different. Rather than alcohol diluted with water, it was actually water diluted with alcohol. The water that sailors took with them in barrels got so foul that they were forced to drink it with one part rum in order to be palatable.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Hargrimm
Interestingly, the definition I know of grog is slightly different. Rather than alcohol diluted with water, it was actually water diluted with alcohol. The water that sailors took with them in barrels got so foul that they were forced to drink it with one part rum in order to be palatable.

Well Hargrimm, the alcohol might have been diluted but it was enough to get the ship's crew hooked. Up until a dark day in 1970, the Royal Navy still allotted a pint a day of rum to crewmen. Arrrrg, matey; the Royal Navy had its own recipe for rum and made it in the navy's own distillery.

The rum was very good and was a boon to recruiting.

See: http://www.pussers.com/rum/history

Last edited by themilum; 09/19/07 09:28 PM.
old hand
old hand
Just scored myself a bottle of Metusalem Cuban Rum. Very difficult to find down here but well worth the search.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The old seafaring countries' grog is a drink composed of cognac, rum or jenever with hot water, sugar and lemonjuice added.
Highly recommended when one has a cold.

Best excuse for drinking grogs is pretending to have a cold.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I served in the British Merchant Navy for many years and some companies used to give tots of grog once a week for morale purposes. The grog consisted of very strong rum. Under normal circunstances you would not have drunk the stuff as it tasted more like raw aviation spirit. To protect us we were made to drink it with a measure of water and to drink it at the grog table so that we did not save it up for a binge later. It certainly had a kick and did lift your spirits for the rest of the evening. So we did look forward to the "rot-gut".
Ray Ferrie retired seafarer

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Given the effect that boats have on my stomach and the effect that alcohol has on my balance I think I'd best avoid getting groggy.
PS Welcome aboard Ray

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mr. Ray Ferry, if you still follow this, "rot-gut", is it a Shetlandish expression? It looks quite familiar. We use rot the same way for certain things we don't like.
f.i. "rot ding" or "rot spul".

Maven Offline OP
OP Offline
Rot gut is used in the States as well, to indicate an alcohol of poor quality.

tempus edax rerum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith