#169521 08/13/07 11:06 AM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
March, July, October, and May
The nones are on the seventh day.
And ides fall eight days after the Nones.

Anu's poem needs another line. I suggest

Quote:
March, July, October, and May
The nones are on the seventh day.
And ides fall eight days after the Nones
and if you can remember that you don't need cojones.

I think it's odd that he should choose a quote that illustrates a misuse of the word.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Would a letter to the editors at Fortune be appropriate sharing that the ides of August was on the 13th, and not the 15th?

I honestly didn't know this fact myself until this morning!

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The notoriety of the Ides of March has left many with the impression that the Ides invariably fall on the 15th. I wouldn't bother with nyah-nyahing the editors of Fortune but I would expect better of Anu.

Another potentially interesting question is whether the "Beware the Ides of March" line predates Shakespeare. I have nothing more than a vague felling that legend says that he was warned, possibly by that classic oxymoron, the blind seer.

F
stranger
stranger
F
The far-more-comprehensive and correct version I learned in Latin class:

In March, July, October, May,
The Ides are on the fifteenth day,
The Nones the seventh; and all besides
Have two days less for Nones and Ides.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Googling cave idus Martias reveals sloganed t-shirts, high school Latin plays, and plenty of blog entries, but no citations from the classical authors.

Found this page by adding tu quoque (which Shagsberd turned into et tu, Brute) into the mix. According to Suetonius, the haruspex who does the warning had the name of Spurinna.

Quote:
Et immolantem haruspex Spurinna monuit, caveret periculum,
quod non ultra Martias Idus proferretur.

[...]

Dein pluribus hostiis caesis, cum litare non posset, introiit curiam spreta religione Spurinnamque irridens et ut falsum arguens, quod sine ulla sua noxa Idus Martiae adessent: quanquam is "venisse quidem eas" diceret, "sed non praeterisse."

The soothsayer Spurinna, observing certain ominous appearances in a sacrifice which he was offering, advised him to beware of some danger, which threatened to befall him before the ides of March were past.

[...]

Victim after victim was slain, without any favourable appearances in the entrails; but still, disregarding all omens, he entered the senate-house, laughing at Spurinna as a false prophet, because the ides of March were come without any mischief having befallen him. To which the soothsayer replied, "They are come, indeed, but not past."

[Ed. by Alexander Thomson.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Me too--I was just about to post this when I saw your post. My Latin 2 high school teacher would be thrilled I remembered this!

S
stranger
stranger
S
This is the version I learned as well. It remains inscribed on the back page of my Bennet's New Latin Grammar on the shelf beside my Cassell's.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith