Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
nemo Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I just heard that Britney Spears has received a sizeable advance for writing a book, with her mother. Surely even the Bard would not want us to suffer this particularly outrageous fortune?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would not take the book as a gift, but I can see no basis for objecting to her writing one, and if enough people want it to make her rich, so be it. What is the harm? Us old fogeys can ignore it.

N
addict
addict
N
With her mother? What do you suppose will be the division of labor on that project? And what type of book? Autobiography? Tell-all? Fiction (or does that go without saying)? How-to? Children's? Self-help? Oh, the possibilities!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh the possibilities!

According to a news story I read, the book is about a teenage girl who dreams of becoming a star. *Yawn*
At least she's writing about something she is familiar with. (Or should that be, with which she is familiar...?)

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Be careful what you say about Britney. You think you are safe just because you are on AWADTALK (wink), but if her fans find out they just might spear you.

chronist

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ever the one for the unpopular opinion.......

okay, classical music is my first love, but it's all good. i balked when my 9-yr-old stepdaughter brought one of her CD's into my home, but she's actually not all that bad. give her a break... she's marketable as heck (who could honestly not LOVE her pants???... i need the name of her tailor) and her songs are catchy. they certainly won't be remembered in 100 years, or even in 30 (i'm a die-hard Steely Dan/CSN/eagles fan myself) but she's earned her 15 minutes of fame.

[/rant]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A young person wants to write a book that other young people will buy and read?
Hurrah I say ... Never discourage a young person from writing. And anything that starts other young people off on the Way of Words is to be encouraged, say I!
And if her Mother is garnering some royalties to sock away against her old age, well, what's wrong with that?
wow

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
A young person wants to write a book that other young people will buy and read?
Hurrah I say ... Never discourage a young person from writing. And anything that starts other young people off on the Way of Words is to be encouraged, say I!

Well said, wow. Intellectual snobbery is very catchy, and almost always counterproductive.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And jealousy too tempting.

#23020 03/16/01 06:02 PM
N
addict
addict
N
This current discussion reminds me of hearing someone criticize the Harry Potter books as nothing but drivel - children would be better off reading nothing - and on and on in that vein. A friend of mine noted that, first, anything that gets a child to read should be applauded; and second (speaking of the critic): there's a man who has an unpublished manuscript somewhere!

The point being: envy is also counterproductive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith