Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I would say I started getting into words at around 15. It most fittingly happened when I wanted to study for the SAT. I think it was specifically when I got one of those generic SAT vocabulary word worksheets. It talked about root words and prefixes, and told us that we should read the newspaper and such. And then I got this insatiable desire to learn new words. I found that there was a huge, diverse cornucopia of words that mean all things from all places, words that are quirky, mellifluous, long, short, technical, simple, foreign, new, and old. I started looking through the dictionary, signing up for newsletters, and googling things like the longes words or "fun words," etc. I believe that learning new words actually opens your mind to seeing things in a different way. And it can actually be a gateway to other languages.
Also, maybe in a more paranoid way, I see it as an "insurance." If anyone has read "1984," you would see that with the language of "newspeak" the range of thinking of the general populace was severly limited. Everything that was bad was "thoughtcrime" and everything that was good related to "Big brother." We might have a similar situation, where new "buzzwords" for social issues are being created all the time and corporations and politicians try to tell us how we should think through "perception management" and public relations.

Actually, I think a weird thing is that, even though I think of myself as a logophile, I don't like reading, I'm alliterate. One would think those two things would go hand-in-hand, but apparently not. (I should start reading more though).
Okay, I'm going off in a tangent again.
Now's your turn.

Last edited by mechanesthesia; 02/08/06 04:45 AM.

[insert signature here]
When and Why Did You Start Getting Into Words?

Hmm, interesting question. I would have to say I started getting into words when I was about 3. The reason I say this is that I was in kindergarten at that age and I distinctly remember words at that age. I know that by the time I was seven years of age I was bored enough that I sat down and read the entire volume sets of the encyclopedia britannica, the new world encyclopedia, the webster's and harvard dictionary's, along with the old English Lexicons. I was bored, what can I say.

After that it became a challenge to me to read words, but I understood them. I had dyslexia and found out I had a bad case of it. Once I was diagnosed it became a challenge to me to study words and understand them again, so I fell in love even more. And due to all of this, here I am today. Loving words.

Rev. Alimae
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I'm alliterate.

alliterate

VERB: Inflected forms: al·lit·er·at·ed, al·lit·er·at·ing, al·lit·er·ates
INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To use alliteration in speech or writing. 2. To have or contain alliteration.
TRANSITIVE VERB: To form or arrange with alliteration.
ETYMOLOGY: Back-formation from alliteration.

--AHD4

Give us an example, mecha!

OP Offline
Oops.
*aliterate

(Serves me right for using the internet when I'm half-asleep.)

[insert signature here]
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you for asking. But I suggest, however, that contributors are often bored by lengthy followups to a thread of this sort. Anyone really, honestly wishing to know: I am dalehileman@verizon.net and I will happily chat with you all day

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>contributors are often bored by lengthy followups to a thread of this sort.

or, perhaps, the subject has come up here before. (there's a challenge for those who like to use the search function!)

OP Offline
Yes, I know...
It's inevitable that it came up before.
But then comes the catch-22.
I commit a forum faux pas by repeating a topic that has been talked about before, and if I resurrect said old topic I commit another forum faux pas. Either way I'll get chastised.
So I just decided to take my chances... (I was bored.)

Last edited by mechanesthesia; 02/08/06 09:09 PM.

[insert signature here]
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
very rarely has anyone here objected to revivication of an old thread -- on the contrary, that's been done at the drop of a fedora!

enthusiast
enthusiast
(at the drop of a hat)
...and some, me for example, will have forgotten all about the old thread, so it's all new and interesting.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We used to have an acronym, YART, for Yet Another Retread Topic. We chewed it up and spit it out eventually. We learned that there is always something new to say about almost anything, particularly with new blood constantly coming in to the board.

If you want to be roundly spanked for bringing up old tired issues go to wordorigins and tell them you have the definitive answer to the origins of the phrase "the whole nine yards." But don't tell them Faldage sent ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 744 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith