Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Thanks for the recipe Father Steve - or is it Thomas Danforth these days? I suppose you heat them up in your crucible ?

Actually it sounds a lot like what I would call a dumpling - sweet rather than savoury (I prefer the savoury variety). Recipe link below:

http://thefoody.com/pudding/clootiedumpling.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your link didn't work for me, dixbie. Um, hushpuppies (I like mine with bits of onion in) are and are not like dumplings. They are both balls (wads, whatever) of dough cooked by immersion in hot liquid. However, dumplings are cooked in water and/or broth, and come out very soft--they may end up "al dente", but still more like pasta than hushpuppies are. These are cooked in hot oil, and the corn meal gives them a good crunchy outside crust. Also--I have never come across anything comparable to the texture that breads made from corn meal have; all I can say for the moment is that they are not like flour breads at all.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Your link didn't work for me, dixbie.

there is something very strange about that link, but if you just cut-and-paste it, it will work.

sounds yummy, though!

formerly known as etaoin...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
We had some of those when we went down to New Orleans last year. Seems that they fried just about everything in vats of oil.

They were selling them at a little booth in the airport and we finally broke down and had one. They gave it with a glass of powdered sugar so you could dip it in.

#155213 02/12/06 09:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
They were selling them at a little booth in the airport and we finally broke down and had one. They gave it with a glass of powdered sugar so you could dip it in.

This is only a long-distance guess but I'm thinkin' that what Bel had at the airport was a beignet (pronounced ben-YAY) rather than a hushpuppy. Beignets are normally served with lots of powdered sugar; hushpuppies are not. The dough for beignets is made of white flour; the dough for hushpuppies of a mixture of corn meal and white flour. The beignet is a bit more like a doughnut. N'est-ce pas?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh, I think you're right. I think they did call it a beignet, but it certainly didn't look anything like what we call a beignet here. A beignet here is just a small donut.

J
J
Couple of notes from the deep frying south....Back when I was a young'un and we were just learning about hushpuppies in this neck of the swamps, they told my mama to make them like scalded cornbread, with hot water, that is, not milk. She would mix in an egg and a bunch of chopped onion, and they were always cooked along with fried fish. I liked them better than the fish, most times.
A year or so ago, at a nearby art fest, tried a fried sweet cornbread with sugar, I think it was, to dip in. It was sort of a new treat to me but pretty good. I don't remember what they called them, but not hushpuppies.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The shape tends to be different, too. Hushpuppies are made to look something like a golf ball or a tennis ball. Beignets are made to look like a rectangular pillow. Generally speaking, of course.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith