Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The function of either member of the pair on their home turf is could be seen either as somehow to validate the other, or molify his own people (granted these terms are a little far of the mark). He has, then, the ambiguous role of revealing, masking, or transforming the other. In a way, the idea that he is a mask seems the most apt, since the stranger is required to "wear" -- or be accompanied by his partner in order either to be, in this way, at once seen and rendered invisible. While I like the "attachment" thing about attaché, the word needs to be embued with this sense of paradoxical representation.

Last edited by inselpeter; 01/11/06 02:24 AM.
arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah. "Coadjutant" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. The title needs to stand on its own and sound solid. It should imply a deep meaning. "Coadjutant" may be a good definition or description but seems more like an adjective to me than a title. Sort of like "motorcyclist" instead of "biker".

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Let me finish the bloody book before we start divying out royalties. One mountain at a time.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you, Father Steve. Good to be aboard.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Although "ambassador", "emissary", and even "peacekeeper" do well to define a person in this position, it only covers half of the definition. I need the meaning of "mutual dependency" along with the function of the title.

Ditto for delegate, emissary, envoy, minister, legate, representative, agent, attaché, consul, deputy, diplomat, foreign minister, nuncio, procurator, proxy; apostle, evangelist, missionary; deputation, detachment, legation; courier, messenger; mouthpiece, and spokesperson. They all work. But they all have an implied singular definition as well.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The title will definitely have a common name just like any established vocation. I'm focusing on the long-assed version first.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
"Attache" is good with the "attached to" meaning. Again, it doesn't feel strong enough. I like the definition.

And thank you for making me look up "aigu". Learn something new every day.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I read that thread. And I agree that usinga made-upterm would be easier. But, I am of the Gene Wolfe school of thought. Find an existing or archaic word for a new term and it will sound more natural.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
"Procurator", one who procures or obtains things for another. Too subservient. One person waiting or serving the other. Remember, neither culture believes that their side is inferior to the other. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Working as equals is an extreme leap of faith.

arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have also toyed with "familar" and "right". "Familiar", as in a witch's familiar. And "right", as in "you are my right by law" or"I have a right to be here".

And wasn't Geep the monkey that hung out with Space Ghost? Oh, sorry. That was Gleep. Still, too cute.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith