Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#15780 01/17/01 06:50 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Since yet an other thread has been drowned in a morning dew, I was wondering what everybody drinks--
Not just the potent potables, but everything from H20 to malta to morning dew...

With asides as to how you drink it-- cold, hot, sweetened, ?

any off beat favorites-- Animal crackers and cocoa to drink? or rose hip tea? home brewed root beer fans? Champaine Cola fans?

any interesting ways of drinking? or cures?

As a child i was cured of insomnia for life-- the cure was hot milk with an equal part of Guiness. One taste, and i learned to never, ever again complain that i couldn't sleep!

#15781 01/17/01 07:00 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Due to a strong physical aversion, my favourite tipples all involve an alkaloid rather than an alcohol. I once saw a t-shirt that summed up my philosophy on beverages - it had the slogan "Death before decaf!" For cold caffeine, I'm a Coke®head and for hot, very little beats a good espresso -unless it's a good turkish. Mmm, turkish coffee, be still my salivating glands. I drink any form of tea only under great sufferance.

#15782 01/17/01 08:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Water, kefir, fuzzy water, coffee.

Used to be big into Guinness and Islays*. Would try about anything microbrewed at least once and really fond of Belgian beers. My taste buds and my cardiologist had a disagreement and it remains to be seen if the disagreement will go in favor of the cardiologist after February.

*I used to like Scotch until I tried Laphroaig. I will also drink Talisker.

#15783 01/17/01 09:38 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, since I'm not yet permitted by law to venture into those forbidden, intoxicating drinks and I don't care for coffee and tea, I guess I'm stuck with water, milk and the occasional Dr. Pepper (my soft drink of choice.)

#15784 01/17/01 10:28 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I used to like Scotch until I tried Laphroaig.

Shhhhhh, you want to tell the world? They'll all want it and THEN where will we be?
wow

#15785 01/18/01 12:58 AM
old hand
old hand
Can't abide Scotch, Brandy, Tequila or any similar strong spirit neat - a product of several late teen / early twenties BIG nights that were accompanied by violent illness.

Parents - insist your 18+ trashes themselves this way at least several times. The most effective form of aversion therapy I know - life long in my case. Can't see why anybody would want to repeat the experience!

In terms of preferences - Durif - a RARE variety of red wine (known in the US as Syrrah or Petit Syrrah). Created in the early 1900's by Prof Henri Durif from Shiraz stock and mostly grown (in Australia at least) as the base stock for what we call Port - which isn't Port at all. (Try a Morris port - it's just about all Durif, so you will have already been exposed to Durif).

Best growing spot in Oz are the Murray Valley, though I believe De Bortolis grow theirs somewhere in Western NSW - but it's rubbish so don't bother. Best growers are Morris (now owned by Penfolds) and Campbells; Kingston Estate is reasonable.

So what's it like??? - I'm not an official wine buff so can use whatever descriptors I like!! It's an inky purple black, almost to the point of being opaque but, despite looking and smelling like the stout of the wine world, it's flavour comes as a complete surprise - a HUGE palate but, as I often say, "Like velvet cannonballs" - sooooo smooooth.

Try some (about $25 per bottle for Morris) - I hope you hate it coz each vintage (released in July) is sold out within a month and why would I want to reduce my chances of getting a few bottles? Even Morris' themselves are sold out by the end of August.

Might be weird of me, but I happen to love a stone cold retsina on a stinking hot day (ie those too hot to do justice to a Durif) - a product of a holiday in Greece many years ago. Most non-Greeks (non-Hallatians??) hate it - fine by me!!

stales

#15786 01/18/01 07:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Coffee, tea, various dark beers and guinness; and Alana Estate Pinot Noir ... of which we manage to demolish a case altogether too frequently, particularly since it is a small vintage and we have to order it.

Like Stales I tried aversion therapy on whisky, but unlike him, in my case it didn't work. But I keep trying manfully at any and every opportunity.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15787 01/18/01 03:30 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
At the risk of bringing down on my head the wrath of all the Brits and related types, I have to confess that my favorite is that quintessentially American quaff, iced tea. I drink it unsweetened with lemon juice, in spite of being on the edge of the South, where iced tea is always dead sweet. Of course, decent iced tea is made fresh daily from tea, bags or loose, not from some unmentionable powder or concentrate. Now and then, for a change, I add mint leaves to the tea when brewing it and drink that sweetened, no lemon.

#15788 01/18/01 04:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Have you ever tried iced tea with a dollop of orange juice and a few drops of lemon ... the orange sweetens and the FEW drops of lemon add a pleasant piquancy.
wow

#15789 01/18/01 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sun tea!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,018 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith