Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#122351 02/08/04 02:34 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I cleaned off my desk today here at home. It's been even longer than I realized: I found coupons that had expired in...1998. I could all but hear the gasps of relief, as parts of the desktop that haven't seen light for ages, finally got some air. Oh--if you're wondering how I left that big of a mess out in the open for so long, I didn't--it's a modern rolltop. There've been times when I was just hoping and praying that guests wouldn't notice little corners of paper sticking out from under!

#122352 02/08/04 02:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from my blog today(roundabout via Jazzo):

from a book by Abigail Sellen and Richad Harper, The Myth of the Paperless Office:

"the messy desk is not necessarily a sign of disorganization. It may be a sign of complexity: those who deal with many unsolved ideas simultaneously cannot sort and file the papers on their desk, because they haven't yet sorted and filed the ideas in their head."

formerly known as etaoin...
#122353 02/08/04 02:48 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, thanks, eta! I had thought everybody could use a good laugh, but you gave me one!

#122354 02/08/04 01:17 PM
Welcome to my world, Jackie. I completely understand. Once upon a time I was an immaculate housekeeper. Now, well, I'm not. The last 8 years of my life have been a bit...complicated and my house reflects that.

I've heard there is a show on TLC called Clean Sweep. I don't have cable, so have never seen it. They have a website that offers inspirational ideas for decluttering. After discovering it, I've managed to take several car loads of unused stuff to Goodwill. It feels great to give away things that other people can use. I've decided I'm putting my house on a diet. It has to lose weight every week.

Here's the site:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/cleansweep/tips/tips.html

#122355 02/08/04 04:53 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I've seen that show a couple of times GH. (I prefer to give a show a couple of tries before making a decision) I can't watch it anymore. It drives me crazy. I can't imagine how some people live in such messes. In one, the people 'found' a fireplace in their basement. That's how messy the place was. They had little paths in piles of rubbish in their bedroom leading to their bed, bureau and closet. They even had stuff piled on their bed and they slept around the piles of crap.

Not only is it amazing to me that they live like this, but that they'd expose themselves to millions of viewers is mindboggling.

Most people have that "put stuff here in the interim" place - a place where they'll put stuff that needs to be filed, of need to be brought somewhere and you just don't feel like doing it now. And sometimes, you will find expired coupons (hi Jackie) or long lost lottery tickets. I have a closet like that. But these peoples' entire houses are messed-up rubbish bins.

#122356 02/09/04 02:52 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
When I was in the 5th. grade (approx. age 10), there was one girl in the class who was the outcast of the entire room. I followed the lead of a friend and her friend, and teased this girl. The teacher (God bless you, Mrs. Cox!) called the 3 of us in for a private talk and asked if we wouldn't try to befriend this girl. I invited her to my house, and she returned the invitation. Well...the house was literally stacked with newspapers, magazines, and I don't know what all, with paths in between the stacks. I had never seen anything like that before; as soon as I decently could, I called my parents to come pick me up. It just creeped me out.

#122357 02/09/04 01:26 PM
They even had stuff piled on their bed and they slept around the piles of crap.

Yikes! Well, at least I've never sunk to that level. Hey, perhaps that's why these shows are successful: people want to see messies worse than they are to make themselves feel better.

I wonder if any other civilization in history has had the 'problem' of people owning too much stuff.

#122358 02/09/04 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the 'problem' of people owning too much stuff

Northwest coast Indians (US/Canada) had a hunter-gatherer society, but, unlike most peoples living in this economy, had the food jump on the table for them, living as they did in the lush temperate rain forests. They accumulated so much property that they would customarily hold parties, called potlatches, in which they would give away or destroy much of their worldly goods. If you were invited to one of these parties it was expected that you would throw one of your own in the near future that was even more lavish in its disposal of property.

#122359 02/09/04 01:41 PM
old hand
old hand
civilization in history has had the 'problem' of people owning too much stuff.
Some kings in ancient Egypt must have known it - or what did they build the pyramids for?

#122360 02/09/04 01:42 PM
...potlatches, in which they would give away or destroy much of their worldly goods...

That's a great solution! Dumping my old stuff at the Goodwill truck just isn't as personal, is it?

The ladies in my book group routinely bring books and magazines they don't want to our meetings. There is a sort of free pile in the center of the table and anyone can take anything on their way out. Actually, once a lady brought a pair of new trousers to give away as well, so maybe this is turning into a kind of suburban potlatch. What's next, I wonder?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith