Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are literally thousands of websites dealing with humor.

Today I am wondering about superstition and perhaps gossip that is humorous. For instance, suppose you hear a funny anecdote about someone who makes modest, but determined, efforts in avoiding the path of a black cat traveling over his own. If the anecdote is told without great exaggeration--more a comical tale of an understandable, realistic amount of exaggeration--it wouldn't qualify quite exactly as hyperbolic humor. Would it simply be a humorous tale because of its controled (even understated) exaggeration--or is there perhaps a specific kind of brand name for humor dealing with superstitions?

F
addict
addict
F
I'm not sure if I quite get what you are talking about, but the concept of "understated exaggeration" seems to capture what I think of as "British Humor" -- a vast generalization to be sure -- encompassing (for me, anyway) people like the Pythons, Douglas Adams, and PG Wodehouse and shows like Blackadder, Red Dwarf and Yes Minister. Their humor (I suppose it should be "humour") seems to be centered around creating incredibly ridiculous situations that people tend to react rather calmly towards. An illustrative counter-example might be Fawlty Towers -- in which the humor is created by Basil completely over-reacting to the most mundane situations.

Anyway, analysing comedy is about as easy and effective as herding cats, so I'm going to stop now. Are we even on the same page here, DubDub?

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
We're on the same page, Flatlander. Absolutely. I suppose I'm trying to gain some sense of when I would say exaggeration ends and hyperbole begins.

Yes, I think I'd enjoy herding cats, especially when missing forests for being blinded by trees.

Speaking of being on the same page, there is a website I just discovered a few minutes ago that is dedicated to the analysis of humor--well worth at least a skimming for those who like to categorize and classify ideas--and also to think about why we laugh (or smile, which is sometimes better even than laughing):

http://facstaff.uww.edu/shiblesw/humorbook/index.html

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's a rather taxing site, really ...

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

It's a rather taxing site, really ...

If so, it's at least ironic.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I didn't find a "went right over her head" category of humour on it, but.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith