W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
prolegomenon
n.,
pl. 3e[na 73n!8 5Gr, neut. pass. prp. of prolegein, to say beforehand < pro3, before + legein, to speak: see PRO31 & LOGIC6
1 a preliminary remark
2 [often pl., with sing. v.] a preliminary statement or essay; foreword
pro#le[gom4e[nous 73n!s8
adj.
pro[le[gom[e[non 7prb#li g9m4! n9n#, 3n!n8
n.,
pl. 3e[na 73n!8 5Gr, neut. pass. prp. of prolegein, to say beforehand < pro3, before + legein, to speak: see PRO31 & LOGIC6
1 a preliminary remark
prolegomenous 73n!s8
adj.
By chance, this word was AWAD in Nov. 94

prolepsis
n.,
pl. 3ses# 73scz#8 5L < Gr prolcpsis, an anticipating < prolambanein, to take before < pro3, before + lambanein, to take: see LEMMA16 an anticipating; esp., the describing of an event as taking place before it could have done so, the treating of a future event as if it had already happened, or the anticipating and answering of an argument before one‘s opponent has a chance to advance it
pro[lep4tic
adj.

prolocutor !r8
n.
5L, an advocate < pp. of proloqui, to declare < pro, for + loqui, to speak6
1 a spokesman
2 a chairman
This reminds of 1930s mob slang: lawyer = mouthpiece

promethium
n.
5ModL: so named (1949) for earlier prometheum, name proposed by G. M. Coryell for element isolated (1948) by J. A. Marinsky & L. E. Glendenin, U.S. physicists < Gr Promctheus (see prec.) in reference to production by nuclear fission + 3IUM6 a radioactive chemical element of the rare-earth metals, obtained from fission of uranium or neutron bombardment of neodymium and used in phosphorescent paint, as a power source, X-ray source, etc.: symbol, Pm; at. wt., (145); at. no., 61; sp. gr., 7.22; melt. pt., 1,168UC; boil. pt., 3,074UC

promovent - I found a lot of sites in foreign languages using this word but no definition.

proprioceptive
adj.
5< L proprius, one‘s own + (RE)CEPTIVE6 designating or of stimuli produced in body tissues, as the muscles or tendons, and received there by the proprioceptors
I have some damage to nerves in my legs, with impaired proprioception, that makes me liable to fall if I close my eyes while showering.

proruption

1. the act or state of bursting forth; a bursting out.

prostaglandin
n.
5< fol. + GLAND1 + 3IN16 any of a group of hormonelike fatty acids found throughout the body, esp. in semen, that affect blood pressure, metabolism, body temperature, and other important body processes

prosthetic
adj.
1 of a prothesis or prosthetics
2 Chem. designating or of any of a number of nonprotein compounds when combined chemically with a protein molecule
Hemoglobin has an iron molecule in a prosthetic group. Chlorophyll has magnesium. Vitamin B12 has cobalt

prosthesis
n.
5LL < Gr prosthesis < prostithenai < pros, to, at + tithenai, to place, DO16
1 var. of PROTHESIS (sense 1)
2 pl. 3the[ses# 73scz#8 Med. a) the replacement of a missing part of the body, as a limb, eye, or tooth, by an artificial substitute b) such a substitute

A wooden leg is a prosthesis. So is my dental partial plate.

prolegomenon
n.,
1 a preliminary remark
pro#le[gom4e[nous 73n!s8
adj.
pro[le[gom[e[non 7prb#li g9m4! n9n#, 3n!n8
n.,
1 a preliminary remark
prolegomenous 73n!s8
adj.
By chance, this word was AWAD in Nov. 94

prolepsis
n.,
pl. 3ses# 73scz#8 5L < Gr prolcpsis, an anticipating < prolambanein, to take before < pro3, before + lambanein, to take: see LEMMA16 an anticipating; esp., the describing of an event as taking place before it could have done so, the treating of a future event as if it had already happened, or the anticipating and answering of an argument before one‘s opponent has a chance to advance it
pro[lep4tic
adj.

prolocutor !r8
n.
5L, an advocate < pp. of proloqui, to declare < pro, for + loqui, to speak6
1 a spokesman
2 a chairman
This reminds of 1930s mob slang: lawyer = mouthpiece

promethium
n.
5ModL: so named (1949) for earlier prometheum, name proposed by G. M. Coryell for element isolated (1948) by J. A. Marinsky & L. E. Glendenin, U.S. physicists < Gr Promctheus (see prec.) in reference to production by nuclear fission + 3IUM6 a radioactive chemical element of the rare-earth metals, obtained from fission of uranium or neutron bombardment of neodymium and used in phosphorescent paint, as a power source, X-ray source, etc.: symbol, Pm; at. wt., (145); at. no., 61; sp. gr., 7.22; melt. pt., 1,168UC; boil. pt., 3,074UC

promovent - I found a lot of sites in foreign languages using this word but no definition.

proprioceptive
adj.
5< L proprius, one‘s own + (RE)CEPTIVE6 designating or of stimuli produced in body tissues, as the muscles or tendons, and received there by the proprioceptors
I have some damage to nerves in my legs, with impaired proprioception, that makes me liable to fall if I close my eyes while showering.

proruption

1. the act or state of bursting forth; a bursting out.

prostaglandin
n.
5< fol. + GLAND1 + 3IN16 any of a group of hormonelike fatty acids found throughout the body, esp. in semen, that affect blood pressure, metabolism, body temperature, and other important body processes

prosthetic
adj.
1 of a prothesis or prosthetics
2 Chem. designating or of any of a number of nonprotein compounds when combined chemically with a protein molecule
Hemoglobin has an iron molecule in a prosthetic group. Chlorophyll has magnesium. Vitamin B12 has cobalt

prosthesis
n.
5LL < Gr prosthesis < prostithenai < pros, to, at + tithenai, to place, DO16
1 var. of PROTHESIS (sense 1)
2 pl. 3the[ses# 73scz#8 Med. a) the replacement of a missing part of the body, as a limb, eye, or tooth, by an artificial substitute b) such a substitute

A wooden leg is a prosthesis. So is my dental partial plate.

#106093 06/19/03 03:32 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Judging by http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/6670/fanny.html and http://www.geocities.com/grbosse.geo/Coldstrm.html, it would seem to mean plaintiff. Perhaps only before the admiralty courts?

Bingley

Bingley
#106094 06/19/03 01:31 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bingley: Sounds to me as though the Captain goofed in not "clapping" Edgar into irons for mutiny before using his pistol. In early days of sailing, captains had great power.
Remember the "Billy Budd" I think it is Hermann Melville,
mildly retarded seaman hung for striking an abusive
mate, I think it was, so long ago that I read it.

#106095 06/19/03 01:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yup, Herman Melville. I've got a volume containing both Billy Budd, which I believe was his last work, and Omoo, which I believe was his first. What a difference.

Omoo, for those of you not familiar with it, is a fictionalization of his experiences of jumping ship in the South Pacific and becoming the pet white man of a tribe of cannibals.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 930 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith