Today a friend mentioned playing carom. Now--when I was a child, I was told that carom was another name for what I grew up playing as crokinole. (Pronounced CROAK-ih-nole.) My cousin had it. It consisted of a hexagonal (I think) flat wooden board, with 3 or 4 concentric circles marked off, and there was a slight circular depression at the very center. Spaced around the smallest circle were some short posts. Each of 2 players had thick wooden disks, which you thumped from the edge of the board. The most points were gained when your disk settled into the depression (which is why the posts guarded it), and if you got yours in there you had to just hope that your opponent was unsuccessful at knocking it out. Since the board and "men" already appeared well-used in 1960, that tells me the game was older than that--probably by at least a couple of decades.
My question: has anybody here even heard the word crokinole? I played it in Tennessee, and none of my Louisville friends knew of it.

They also had part of an old card game, and to my frustration the instructions had been lost: Logomachy.