Print Thread
#91729 01/13/03 02:52 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I happened to mention in an IM somebody called Firdaus. My correspondent asked how it was pronounced, using dowse as an example for the second syllable. I said it was more like douse. Now, to me, dowse means to search for water with a Y-shaped stick and is pronounced with a z sound, while douse means to extinguish with water and is pronounced with an s sound. My correspond seemed to think both spellings were used for either concept but the pronunciations were associated with each concept as I had said.

I went over to xrefer http://www.xrefer.com/entry.jsp?xrefid=592818&secid=.-&hh=1 to see what they had to say, only to find that they agreed that the spellings do fluctuate and they added another dowse into the mix, meaning to doff (a cap) or strike (a sail). Granted my nautical vocabulary is not very great and cap-doffing is not all that common these days, but even so I have never heard of this other word.

Comments on spelling, pronunciation, and this third word from AWADers from around the world please.

Bingley

Bingley
#91730 01/13/03 03:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I looked them up, and was surprised to see that Atomica listed them as alternate spellings of each other. And I've sure never heard of dousing your cap, meaning taking it off.

#91731 01/13/03 04:31 AM
M
addict
addict
M
I had never heard of the third meaning that you wrote about, Bingley, and have always pronounced it (wrongly, as I now find) as DOW-S, in both of the other contexts. But here's what my M-W says on the subject of douse:

DOUSE or DOWSE: (DOW-S)
1. to plunge into water or the like
2. to splash or throw water or other liquid on
3. to extingusish
4.(informal) to remove; doff
5.(Naut):
a) to lower or take in a sail or a mast
b) to slacken a line suddenly
c) to stow quickly
6.(Brit) a stroke or a blow

DOWSE (DOW-Z)
to search for underground supplies of water, metal by the use of a divining rod

And Bingley, you brought up a most beautiful word, Firdaus (FIR-DHAWS). The AW has to be dragged out to give it an 'OH' lilt. It is a Persian word which loosely tranlates into empyrean or paradise. (??Paradise and Firdaus appear to share a common root). It is used to acknowledge the gift of something so unique that God could only have crafted it when he had nothing else on his mind; thereby implying that, God made it at his leisure. It's also a somewhat common name for girls in Persia and northern parts of India.

#91732 01/13/03 06:43 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Here in Indonesia it's a male name and the ordinary word for paradise. Yes, Firdaus and paradise are both from the same Persian root. The AHD has this to say (http://www.bartleby.com/61/74/P0057400.html):

The history of paradise is an extreme example of amelioration, the process by which a word comes to refer to something better than what it used to refer to. The old Iranian language Avestan had a noun pairidaza-, “a wall enclosing a garden or orchard,” which is composed of pairi–, “around,” and daza– “wall.” The adverb and preposition pairi is related to the equivalent Greek form peri, as in perimeter. Daza– comes from the Indo-European root *dheigh–, “to mold, form, shape.” Zoroastrian religion encouraged maintaining arbors, orchards, and gardens, and even the kings of austere Sparta were edified by seeing the Great King of Persia planting and maintaining his own trees in his own garden. Xenophon, a Greek mercenary soldier who spent some time in the Persian army and later wrote histories, recorded the pairidaza- surrounding the orchard as paradeisos, using it not to refer to the wall itself but to the huge parks that Persian nobles loved to build and hunt in. This Greek word was used in the Septuagint translation of Genesis to refer to the Garden of Eden, whence Old English eventually borrowed it around 1200.

Bingley

Bingley
#91733 01/13/03 02:06 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To cross-thread momentarily, "dowsing for water" is also a pathetic fallacy. Many years ago
a columnist for the Boston Herald told a a friend of his who had located water on Bermuda
but pointing a dowsing rod at a map of Bermuda.
Pathetic that anybody could believe that. Or dowsing in any form.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,413
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 998 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,584
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith