Print Thread
#90795 01/02/03 06:09 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A really wonderful site if you like three hundred year old words.
http://www.library.utoronto.ca/utel/ret/cawdrey/cawdrey0.html

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
For instance, I was interested by the definition of "confabulate" to mean "to talk together".
That is still the first meaning in my dictionary, but I have only heard it used in Psychiatry to
mean to fill in gaps in the memory with detailed accounts of fictitious events believed true by
the narrator.
I remember a patient at McLean Hospital, an alcoholic with brain damage. In a bull session in
the day room, he told about having been a newspaper correspondent in Pacific in WWI. He was
much too young for this to have been possible. He was aboard a British warship that had been
sent to try to ensure that the queen of a couple islands did not allow German submarines to
obtain drinking water and other supplies in her territory, if she could prevent it. To flatter her,
in hope of persuading her to comply, the captain ordered that she be given elaborate ceremonial
welcome aboard the ship. So as her canoe was approaching he ordered "Battle Stations". This
called for all hands to line up along the deck, and urinate over the side which was an antique
procedure, originally intended to minimize danger during an engagement of an enemy shell ripping
up wooden decking, and possibly causing large splinter to penetrate a sailor's distended bladder
and lead to fatal peritonitis. Before the hands could secure from this drill, the queen was aboard,
and insisted on having oral sex with every man. And from there it got wilder and wilder, ending
with her breaking both of the Captain's legs by insisting on some bizarre native mode of copulation.
All this was told in a way that might have been believable outside the ambience of a mental hospital.
Never once did he have an inappropriate facial expression. It was not my place to challenge him on any
of the details, and none of the patients did, though several were sufficiently intact to have been
well aware of the fabrications in his yarn.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
let's all get together for the New Year and help dr. bill with his line wrap problem. (or am I the only one who finds this terribly hard to read?!)

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear tsuwm: the AWADtalk software has some problems I have no way of knowing about.
I write first draft, and when preview shows line wrap problem, I edit it, and then preview
shows no more line wrap, and final post shows me no residual. What else can I do?

I hate crummy line wrap text as much as you do. Bill

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bill, what happens if you just ignore how preview looks and just post it that way?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A) (And I thought I had done this earlier today) Some dictionaries order their defintions historically rather than from most to least common in modern usage.

2) The root of confabulate is in the Latin fabulor, fabulari to chat, gossip. It is also the root of the Spanish and Portuguese words for to speak, hablar and falar, respectively.

Þ) If you compose in something other than the Post box, just let things go, not adding any RETURNs. Let the AWAD thang do it for you. Or if you do use the Post box in AWAD, do it the same way.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith