I heard a couple of men last year say that they'd "survived" Christmas. I do wonder how many turkeys and hams they'd been responsible for baking.

But, more to the point, it might be fun here to list or comment on the activities we actually enjoy about the season--or have enjoyed about past such seasons. Naturally, what appeals to Peter may not appeal to Paul.

I'll begin the list (memories included), and see what you all enjoy, whether different or similar:

1. Fried oysters Christmas morning
2. Sitting in a dark room with just the Christmas tree lights on
3. Watching children at school make centerpieces to be sold with profits going to charity
4. Children in concert singing the old carols
5. Watching small children having their pictures taken with Santa, the best being the wee ones who cry because they don't like him a bit (I know this sounds sadistic, but I know it's a photograph the family will laugh at over the years.)
6. Bourbon
7. Living nativities outside of churches
8. Driving all over the neighborhoods to see the lights
9. Tacky bus tours of neighborhoods embellished with an abundance of lights
10. Midnight Christmas Eve services
11. "The Nutcracker" produced in fashion extraordinaire by a topnotch ballet company
12. Little girls in red velvet dresses
13. Messiah
14. Britten's A Ceremony of Carols
15. Watching "Holiday Inn" with somebody who's never seen it--or someone who really loves it no matter how many times seen at Christmas time.
16. "What Child Is This?"
17. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" produced by adults dressing up as Peanuts characters (This is a terrific gift to give kids.)
18. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" produced by kids dressing up as Peanuts characters (This is a terrific gift to give parents.)
19. Christmas cards taped around doorways
20. Ribbon candy (I haven't had any for years...)
21. Oh, I was going to stop at 20, but I just remembered my favorite shot of my brother, now 50, who was sleeping as a toddler in Santa's arms. I never remember my brother sleeping--he was always hyperactive--except in his little suit, fast asleep in Santa's arms.

If anyone has never seen "Holiday Inn" and would like to watch it with me at the farm, let me know.

Now what about you?

Best regards,
WW