Carpal Tunnel
Huh?

Naw, go ahead. It'll be good practice.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I was amazed to see, on one of the first pages of a guidebook to Indonesia, Saya mau ayam goreng Kentucky: "I want Kentucky Fried Chicken".

Hmm. I think people are more likely to say just saya mau Kentucky. Can't think why, ayam goreng (Indonesian style fried chicken) is much nicer.

Incidentally, is California Fried Chicken (which is ghastly) known elsewhere? Indonesia's the only place I've seen it.

Bingley

Bingley
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Bellini cocktail

In 1948, Giuseppe Cipriani, the head bartender and owner of an artists’ café in Venice, the famous and original Harry's Bar, mixed one third white peach juice with fresh fruit pulp with two thirds Prosecco sparkling spumante and a touch of raspberry juice. The Bellini cocktail was born, and it is not the same, or as good, if made with Champagne which has become popular in some places. I have heard it said the Bellini was named after the painter Giovanni Bellini, but also that it was named for Vincenzo Bellini the composer, I don't know the truth. The cocktail was made famous by Hemmingway who frequented the bar, as did other celebrities including Orson Welles and Truman Capote. The Bar is still famous and still attracting celebrities; it hides behind an unpretentious door just off the waterfront by St Marks. It may be unpretentious, but it is very expensive and they don't like you to be dressed with too much informality; shorts are not welcome, dress smart or smart casual!

R
addict
addict
R
Is there a name for hot chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur? I have my own name for this but I wonder if there is an "official" name.

There're loads of variations of drinks made with Bailey's. Favourites include with coffee (take note ye closet alcos) and in cakes (okay, that's not a drink but it is quite nice!).

Speaking of Ron Collins, Tom Collins etc, etc. there is an Irish variety called a Michael Collins - one shot and hit the road........

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
one shot and hit the road.. Sheesh, talk about black humor:
Collins, Michael Politician
(1890–1922)
Irish politician and Sinn Féin leader, born near Clonakilty, County Cork, E Ireland. He became an MP (1918–22), and with Arthur Griffith was largely responsible for the negotiation of the treaty with Great Britain in 1921. He was killed in an ambush by his former compatriots, between Bandon and Macroom.

See also:
Griffith, Arthur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © AND Classification Data Limited. All rights reserved.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Is there a name for hot chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur? I have my own name for this but I wonder if there is an "official" name.

Dunno about hot chocolate with Bailey's, but I've heard hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (mmm mmm!) called a Polar Bear....

I want to know why Sex on the Beach is called that. And other similar drink names....

Thinking way back to my 21st birthday (still something of a big deal in Canada, at least for those of us of British descent), I remember going out to a club with some friends. This club had shooter bars all over the place, and my friends were buying me drinks; I was pleased to report at the end of the evening that I'd had an Orgasm with Delbert and a Test-tube Baby with Rahul, but my boyfriend at the time was not amused!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's a shooter bar, please?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I can't stand all those drink names like "Screaming Orgasm" and "Sex on the Beach" and all that stuff. I guess I'm an old fogey.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess I'm an old fogey.
Nah. You're too young to be an old one. [parting shot e]

M
old hand
old hand
M
Hi Jackie!

A shooter bar is a bar within a club at which they specialize in making shooters (shot-glass-sized mixed drinks). I don't remember what was in either of the drinks I mentioned, but these bars seemed to revel in making weird combinations, some of which looked very odd as well - for example, they might mix a cream liqueur with a translucent one, without stirring, to create a kind of queer test-tuby effect (what is that thing growing in there?!), or mix different colours in layers (such as blue Curacao and creme de menthe).

Which reminds me of an interesting sidebar: When my mother and I visited the island of Curacao in the Caribbean many years ago, one of the things we did was take a tour that included a stop at the curacao distillery - where we learned that one can only get "true" curacao liqueur on the island. They just don't export what they make there because it can be made elsewhere as a local product - they don't hold a copyright on it. Why? Because it is verboten to copyright geographical names.

Dang. Bet they're wishing they'd called the good stuff "Fred" or something - anything! - other than "curacao"!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,504
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 187 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,666
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,924
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith