Her greatest year for writing in terms of output was 1862 in which she wrote 364 poems, averaging about a poem a day. She was in her early thirties. I read that she wrote poetry till the end of her days, but the years around 1862 were the most productive by far, sometimes a year with about 60, or another with about 80 or 100.

I have an edition of the complete poems, and the lifetime total is 1775, an easy figure for a US'n to remember.

The book's upstairs, but I'll return later and type out the one about snow--charming, but haunting, too. She never uses the word snow.

It's interesting to take a look at poetic output. Sylvia Plath in her final days was turing out sometimes four poems a day. Her overall output doesn't compare to Dickinson's.

One thing I've learned about Emily: Sometimes I think I've "got" her--then I see something new and she takes me to a different level. I also enjoy her use of odd words--unashamedly at times using them. I read somewhere that she once said that the only two books you really needed were the dictionary and the Bible--but, heavens, she was extremely well-read....so, easy for her to say.