I was reading an article on some folks who are attempting to trace LOTR to myths of old storytelling (I'll start another threaf for that in Misc.), and encountered this gem of misuse, IMO, using went missing now in a military casualty sense? C'mon, now that's really taking it over the cliff. It's missing-in-action or "killed, wound, and/or missing"...but "killed, wounded, and/or went missing"...what! I hate it! Here's the context (I'm including the second paragraph for the sake of clarity for LOTR aficionados):

>They also linked Tolkien's sword-and-sorcery classic to the Civil War battle of Antietam while visiting the battlefield during the weeklong seminar. More than 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or went missing there in the bloodiest, single-day clash of the war.

"We thought the connection was that, just as the Tolkien book is about the great battle, this is the place of the one-day, great battle in North America," Wilhelm said. "With the Civil War, there's a kind of sacred aura about it. A lot of lives were lost, a lot of passion was put into it." <

What thinkest the board?