so, my fine fool, you are pointing out that the patterned highway pavement, that creates a noise, and a sensation of bumpbing, come in strips and bumps, with the word rumble being the common factor?

rumble strips at the side of the road are not to common in the NY metro area, local law requires highway lighting with in a half mile of exit/extrance road, and there are very few area where the exits are more than one mile distant. rumble bumps, (the same pavement configuration, but a full lane wide, and about 2 meters in length,) are fairly common, at toll booths, and highway construction sites.

WW, tell me about the center lane... do you mean a center(turn) lane in a 3 lane road that is one lane going one way, one lane going the opposite, and the center lane is exclusively for cars making turns (that would have them cross traffic)?

or was it it a highway? and were there rumble strips on both sides of the center lane? or just as you crossed into the passing lane?

i can see the value in the first case (a two direction for turning only center lane) but not on in the second.