bet you didn't understand Soupy Sales, who used to make jokes about rubbing bananas to make banana cream....pie.

even the muppet show back in the 70's when my kids were watching it, was filled with double entendre's... so i enjoyed it as much as my kids did.

most kids don't get the second level joke, and still don't get them until they are adults-- they first heard the names and jokes in an innocent time, and it take a while before they rethink them.

the often quoted dirtiest line on a television show..june cleaver to husband.."don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"
when you heard it age X, you thought mom was telling dad not to be so strict with Beaver.. and now..?

i suspect at the time, many adults "heard" the word play, but denied it.. it was socially unacceptable to 'hear' such things, and just as the bowlderize version shakespeare are attribuated to MR. Bowlder, even though his sister actually wrote them.. but it was unacceptable to admit that a proper victorian lady would know and understand what to censor!