Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80938 09/17/2002 3:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,467
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,467
I am NOT posting this to generate a political discussion. This is a hundred percent grammar related.

I just ran across this sentence:

U.N. weapons inspectors were put in place after the Gulf War under resolutions which tied Iraq's disarmament to the lifting of punishing U.N. sanctions.

The structure of the sentence bothers me. I interpret it as imnplying that The resolutions required a lifting of UN Sanctions as a condition for disarmament, rather than vice versa.

Am I being too critical? I know what the sentence means from context, but would it be better to say:

U.N. weapons inspectors were put in place after the Gulf War under resolutions which tied the lifting of punishing U.N. sanctions to Iraq's disarmament.



TEd
#80939 09/17/2002 3:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
From a strictly topological point of view it shouldn't matter, but linguistically it does make it sound like we won't let you disarm until we quit bugggin you about it.

Judging from the US response to the Iraqi submission to demands for unconditional inspections, it sounds like Bush thinks that what it means, too.


#80940 09/17/2002 4:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,819
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,819
In reply to:

U.N. weapons inspectors were put in place after the Gulf War under resolutions which tied Iraq's disarmament to the lifting of punishing U.N. sanctions.


It wouldn't hurt to throw in a comma here and there too, considering the number of imbedded dependent clauses.


#80941 09/17/2002 4:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 872
old hand
old hand
Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 872
I disagree Faldage, I agree Ted. (A)

I agree Ted, I disagree Faldage. (B)

Don't mean exactly the same thing. Order determines, or affects, meaning.
Why? Because in this series of posts. Teds comments came before the Faldage's and to reverse the temporal order recieved would indicate that the feeling of disagreement was stronger than that of the agreement.

Normally you tie something to something that is in place.

A boat to a dock.
The lifting of punishing U.N. sanctions to Iraq's disarmament.


Unless Faldage, your linguistic interpretation doesn't recognize order as a director towards meaning.




#80942 09/17/2002 4:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
I disagree Faldage, I agree Ted. (A)

Huh?

I was agreeing with TEd.

Order: I gave the boy the dog.

Topologically a coffee cup is identical to a doughnut.


#80943 09/17/2002 9:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 3,146
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 3,146
Carping aside, TEd's rewrite does make the sense clearer. Although you would obviously take the meaning correctly either way round.



The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#80944 09/17/2002 9:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661
Topologically a coffee cup is identical to a doughnut.

I just felt a paradigm shift.


#80945 09/17/2002 10:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,346
veteran
veteran
Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,346
Order: I gave the boy the dog.
Topologically a coffee cup is identical to a doughnut.


And to a boy and a dog. A topological perspective is not recommended when eating.




#80946 09/17/2002 10:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,400
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,400
Re:I just felt a paradigm shift.

was that shift on a rack?

or on your lady love, and you were being subtle?
and you felt the shift as you slid you hand up under her skirt?
or do you wear shifts, and the comments got your knickers in twist as it were?

really! Can't you be clear about your meaning?


#80947 09/18/2002 4:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661
... you would obviously take the meaning correctly either way round.

Obvious because we know what 'sanction' means, but do *they all?

I'm still shifting.



Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,917
Posts230,573
Members9,211
Most Online17,319
Apr 8th, 2026
Newest Members
Boo boo kitty fu, peterreineck, Peripatetic Toad, JerryC, blvd
9,211 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 11,365
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,974
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2026 Wordsmith

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1