I finally found some citations for some pumpkins other than my quoted source, Dr. Bill!...but putting "some pumpkins slang" into the search. Here's one from Bartleby, an excerpt from H. L. Mencken's The American langauge (don't know why this didn't come up on the Bartleby site search:

>Thornton, in 1912, substituted the following:

Forms of speech now obsolete or provincial in England, which survive in the United States, such as allow, bureau, fall, gotten, guess, likely, professor, shoat.
Words and phrases of distinctly American origin, such as belittle, lengthy, lightning-rod, to darken one’s doors, to bark up the wrong tree, to come out at the little end of the horn, blind tiger, cold snap, gay Quaker, gone coon, long sauce, pay dirt, small potatoes, some pumpkins.
Nouns which indicate quadrupeds, birds, trees, articles of food, etc., that are distinctively American, such as ground-hog, hang-bird, hominy, live-oak, locust, opossum, persimmon, pone, succotash, wampum, wigwam.
Names of persons and classes of persons, and of places, such as Buckeye, Cracker, Greaser, Hoosier, Old Bullion, Old Hickory, the Little Giant, Dixie, Gotham, the Bay State, the Monumental City.
Words which have assumed a new meaning, such as card, clever, fork, help, penny, plunder, raise, rock, sack, ticket, windfall.<

Here's the whole page from Bartleby.
http://www.bartleby.com/185/pages/page41.html

This from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women:

MEG : Amy, what have you been doing?
AMY : Don't laugh, Jo. I only changed the little bottle of cologne for a big one. I gave all of my money to get it.
BETH : Amy!
MEG : Darling! That was unselfish of you.
JO : You're some pumpkins, Amy.
AMY : I felt ashamed thinking only of myself.

And this from a Mexican War journal by one George F. Ruxton (in Spanish..consuelo or anyone?):

Uno suele encontrarse con criaturas muy hermosas y cuando una mujer mexicana combina tales perfecciones, son «como calabazas», «some pumpkins», como dicen los habitantes de Missouri cuando se refieren a algo superlativo, cuando hablan de mujeres.

http://sunsite.unam.mx/revistas/1847/Ruxton-i.html

There were still more pages of hits I didn't have time to scour, Dr. Bill, if you want to try finding some more.