and don't forget to careful note of the buckles on everyones shoes!

i saw when it first came out... but, no surprize here, given how many food thread i have started/added toBabette's Feast is on of my favorites films.

i also love Tampopo (a japanese spaghetti western about a truck driver and noodle shop) and A Taxing Woman-- to understand it you need to know three things 1) how to hate a tax collector, 2) in Japan, bank accounts are identified by carved name seals (what i would call a chop, but we did have a discussion over a year ago, and the correct name was provided by someone)if you have the "chop" you are the legal owner of the bank account. 3)like US and UK, to some degree, a man's home is his castle and the police can not just barge in.. but in japan, they can if you open the door... (the fact that you don't know that police have assembled outside your door is your tough luck! once you open the door, the police can come in!)

it has some sexual scenes, (especially the opening scene!) but the japanese are pretty conservative so, its not anything but an R rating.

i saw a pbs presentation of Under the Glacier, and icelandic film, and i loved it.. it was interesting how words "jumped out" the icelandic language, one of the scandinavian, has many nouns that are almost identical to english ones.. (all these movies had sub titles.) If any one ever sees it on cable or PBS again, let me know, i would enjoy seeing it again..