It is strange. I once knew a woman who believed in creationism to a fault. When I asked her about archaeological finds that gave us a better understanding of evolution, she just said that the devil put them there to keep us off-track.

I've also heard of people who fervently believe (this is off-topic, sortof) that no one has ever landed on the moon--and that everything we've seen was produced by the government à la Hollywood.

I'm a Believer--practicing, active Christian believer--and one with a fairly broad conception of how things may have moved along--and scientific inquiry, theoretical or otherwise, just makes the whole proposition of the universe that much more remarkable, miraculous, and, finally, spiritual.

And I wouldn't want the woman I mentioned in the first paragraph here teaching any children of mine her creationist views. Fine in her church among her friends who interpret as she does--but not in the classroom. Science is based largely on physical evidence that backs up theory. Sure, science takes a few steps seemingly forward, and then a few back when new facts cancel out the old ones....but it is a movement based in part on what can be observed and tested. What about fundamental, literal creationism? It's not a science. Seems like an apples and oranges way of organizing a science curriculum in order to teach creationism, which isn't even a science.

Off my soapbox,
WW