Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#70828 05/24/02 10:12 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

I much prefer Faulkner's take on Hamlet's dying, jmh. It is a little known fact that Faulkner was near-obsessed about the ramifications of Hamlet's death upon Yoknapatawpha County and environs. Take a look at his other lesser-known novel and you'll see what I mean...

Which Faulkner novel is that? I reckon it must be The Hamlet [ducks and runs for cover]. Seriously though, to which book are you referring?

#70829 05/24/02 11:40 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
This is just a little light humor between Jo, me, and cross thread reference exchangers regarding some fun we had last night (depending upon your time zone) on the "Damp Squib" thread. What I theorized about Faulkner is completely untrue. I repeat: a big lie. Faulkner never wrote (that I'm aware of) a novel entitled As Hamlet Lay Dying. The thread is worth reading if you're interested in learning about:

squibs
squids
dampness
explosives
Shakespeare
Faulkner
the military
the nature of human discourse

Book regards,
Wordy

#70830 05/24/02 02:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Which Faulkner novel is that? I reckon it must be The Hamlet [ducks and runs for cover]. Seriously though, to which book are you referring?

I am currently three-quarters of the way though William Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust, so this is, indeed, a curious thread for me.

Alex, two Faulkner tomes are worked into this interplay:

The Sound and the Fury (he did, indeed, take the title from Shakespeare's Hamlet quote; this novel is considered by many to be his masterpiece and is probably his most famous work).

As I Lay Dying (one of his earlier works)

#70831 05/24/02 02:44 PM
veteran
veteran
I finally started War and Peace. I probably won't be able to finish it till week of July 4. Also reading a few technical things, but I don't reckon that's what you're talking about.

k

#70832 05/24/02 08:34 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Ah, I must have fallen into a sarchasm, or at least missed the facetiousness of the posts! Oh well...

#70833 05/25/02 01:32 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
What are y'all reading?

Glad you asked. I'm mad at my tennis group, some of my caving friends are mad at me, and I am boycotting my favorite beer joint- so what I do is read. The people at the library smile in anticipation of big overdue fines as I check out bag after bag of all kind of books. Listed below are the ones I think would be of interest to awaders, listed in the order of what I imagine you folks would be interested in most.

SEX: A natural History - Joann Ellison Rogers
"Whoa! Hang onto your seatbelts, kids, Joan Ellison Rogers is gonna take you for a helluva ride." - review by Laurie Garrett. Whoa! I bet that's right. I skim read parts of this book and Whoa!, I'm saving it for dessert. Whoa!

MAD ABOUT PHYSICS: Braintwisters, Paradoxes, and Curiosities. -Christopher P. Jargodzki and Franklin Potter
Great! If the library didn't offer renewals I would buy this book. Five stars.***** Three hundred-ninty-three thought-provoking questions boxed by a hundred quotations from Lord Kelvin X-rays will prove to be a hoax. to Richard Feynman If all of mathematics disappeared, physics would be set back exactly one week.

Dolphins - Michael Bright
Companion book for BBC programs on dolphins as seen on the Discovery Channel. If dolphins could somehow walk amongst us we would declare half of them Saints and hang the others with a rope around their non-existent necks until dead for high crimes and atrocities.

NEGOTIATING WITH THE DEAD: A Writer on Writing -
Margaret Atwood

Well thought and well written. Who is this chick? She acts and thinks like Wordwind.

DISTURBING THE SOLAR SYSTEM: Impacts, Close Encounters, and Coming Attractions - Alan E. Rubin
Dr. Rubin synthesizes a great deal of modern research in geophysics and planetary science. - review by E.C. Krupp. Well presented too.

ART : 21 - Art in the Twenty-first Century - organized and introduced by Suzan Sollins
Twenty one modern artists are featured in 350 illustrations in this companion volume to the PBS series of the same name
with commentaries by five notables of contemporary art.
Mmmmmm? Some, I think, are interesting and some are not. But this is the sad fate of art. Or is it?

ICE: The Ultimate Human Catastrophe - Sir Fred Hoyle
A brilliant book. Unfortunately it was not the revised 1991 edition that I wanted to reread. The one where Sir Fred and his indian assistant Chander...? speculated on a method to save earth by storing a reserve of heat in the oceans against the Ice Age that will soon come. And when a Ice age comes, it comes quickly. It would be prudent for us all to hurry and read the revised edition before the event.

KILLER WHALES - Mark Carwardine
Another BBC book. Full of good stuff too. I will extract the interesting facts and post them on Miscelany.

THE ICE CURTAIN a thriller - Robin White
"A true find, a book that makes an exotic locale come to throbbing, pulsating life while telling a story that blasts across the landscape like the Trans-Siberian express. -Stephen Hunter".

E.E.CUMMINGS AND THE CRITICS - edited, with an introduction by S.V. Baum
Very dated. In the main they say that ee didn't edit his trivial from his great. They are correct.

MILESTONES OF SCIENCE - National Geographic. Curt Suplee.
Pictorial walk through the discoveries of the answers to fundamental aspects of the physical universe.

SKINNY LEGS AND ALL - Tom Robbins
In keeping with my intent to read the all of Tom Robbins, the good as well as the bad.

STILL LIFE WITH WOODPECKER - Tom Robbins
I told you.

A MATHEMATICAL MYSTERY TOUR: Discovering the Truth and Beauty of the Cosmos - A. K. Dewdney
Dewdney searches the world of mathematical constructions so as to answer the question - What is the cosmos?

THE MEASURE OF THE UNIVERSE - Isaac Asimov
Always a good skip read to keep a sense of scale.

#70834 05/25/02 03:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just finished Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon, which would make a terrific summer read.

I am currently reading:

Douglas Adams' The Salmon of Doubt, Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time

Jorge Luis Borges "Collected Fictions"

Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik

Chasing the Sun, Dictionary Makers and the Dictionaries They Made by Jonathon Green

James Gleick's Chaos, Making a New Science

Boswell's The Life of Samuel Johnson

Let Us Talk of Many Things by William F. Buckley Jr.

Lewis & Clark, Voyage of Discovery by Stephen E. Ambrose

also on my stack:

Longitude by Dava Sobel

interpreter of maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

oh, and I also just finished reading Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh -- a fascinating little book on "The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem".

(whew)

#70835 05/25/02 04:58 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence
Interesting, wot?
HAd the advantage of reading it in 1953 when I lived near a dear school chum who had grown up in Egypt and spoke, read and wrote French, Arabic and English with equal fluency.
She was also a history buff and knew a lot about El Aurens.
Good stuff.

... everyone's getting way too serious! Excepting the folk at the top of the world who are winter hibernating.

It's that time again! (right, wow?)

Right you are AnnaS

I am talking Beach Books!
Sex in the sun!
Trash in the camper/trailer!
Fun inspiration for f.....er...ah....fooling around!

C'mon now...fess up ... let's hear those nominations!
I promise I'll respect you in the morning.

#70836 05/25/02 05:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i don't watch her show, and the program has ended now, but when Oprah had her "bookclub" program, it was a great source of good 'reads'-- i only found one book to be a bomb, the rest, if not world class fiction, were good.

Ann Quinlan's Black and Blue(i think it was made into a TV movie already, but i didn't see it) is sitting with things i am packing for a trip next month..

#70837 05/25/02 05:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I'm almost through Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust. After that I'll get back to Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals, a historical tome on the Civil War (soon to be a movie this fall) which I started September 10th and didn't have the heart to pick up again. Then I'll move on to The Fatal Shore, the Robert Hughes' history of Australia that mav was so kind to send me. There's about 25 read-list contenders sitting on my shelf waiting to be plucked at the whim of the moment after that. And I'm always picking at poetry collections, history (most notably H.G. Wells' two-volume The Outline of History...I guess I've re-read it dozens of times, I just open any page and start, I never get enough of it), and humor.
Oh, and I plan to finish Philip Wylie's Generation of Vipers for the second time, one of the most controversial and stirring socio/philosophic rampages (and indictments of American [US] society) ever written. When it was first published in the 40's Communists called it Fascist, and Fascists called it Communist, and Wylie claimed to be neither, just speaking his mind. He makes a lot of good points, and he also says some things that piss me off...but a riveting read!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,498
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,660
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,924
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith