Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#70838 05/25/02 07:08 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
WO'N, you tempt me to go back to Intruder in the Dust, the only Faulkner I've ever been able to read without feeling the need for a study guide to figure out what's going on. I wonder if others have had the same experience. Intruder is a gem. I plan to get into Thomas Flanagan's The Year of the French. Having read and greatly enjoyed The Tenants of Time and The End of the Hunt a while back, I somehow skipped this one, which comes first in the trilogy. Other titles I hope to get to include Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd, Atonement by Ian McEwen, and John Spong's Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism.

#70839 05/25/02 07:41 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Light in August is very readable without a study guide. Compelling story about Joe Christmas--and I believe it was the first time I ever heard an author using the word apotheosis-- and it was used poetically.

Another note on Faulkner and summer reading: I studied Joyce under Alexander Theroux, an author whose own writings are complex, to say the least. (He's Paul Theroux's brother, by the way.) Anyway, Alex Theroux told us that the previous summer he had set as his summer project to read all of Faulkner--and he did! The only books I ever read of his were Darconville's Cat and Three Wogs. Wonder what's become of him? His brother has been quite successful as a novelist and travel writer. I expect many here have probably read Paul Theroux.

#70840 05/25/02 08:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I tried reading Darconville's Cat once; I was nonpussed.

(l)

#70841 05/25/02 08:27 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A study guide would be a great help for plowing through Darconville's Cat. It sold fewer than 20,000 copies.

Not surprised that you were nonpussed, tsuwm. I, however, was pussed with what I could understand--when I was in the shute with him.

#70842 05/26/02 02:43 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
A few things:

1) 101 Damnations Andrew Harman
2) Asimov's (Science Fiction magazine)
3) Neurosis and Human Growth - Karen Horney
4) Les oiseaux du Québec (book on Québec birds)
5) Bird feeders - Book on how to make a slew of them (ya, I know, you'd think that after tearing off my finger I'd stay away from my workshop but I love that stuff - frustrates the h*** out of my hubby & son unfortunately)

ON DECK:
Ye Gods! - Tom Holt

I'm in the mood for something really funny - suggestions anyone?

#70843 05/26/02 10:00 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear BelM,

If you haven't read Kinsley Amis's Lucky Jim, do. That's one of the funniest novels I've ever read. Laughed out loud while reading it.

Here's a quote I googled from the novel:

"'You'll find that marriage is a good short cut to the truth. No, not quite that. A way of doubling back to the truth. Another thing you'll find is that the years of illusion aren't those of adolescense, as the grown-ups try to tell us; they're the ones immediately after it, say the middle twenties, the false maturity if you like, when you first get thoroughly embroiled in things and lose your head. Your age, by the way, Jim. That's when you first realize that sex is important to other people besides yourself. A discovery like that can't help knocking you off balance for a time.'" (from Lucky Jim, 1954)

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/amis.htm

That particular quote wouldn't have made me laugh out loud, but you can see a bit of Amis's wit in it.

WW

#70844 05/28/02 08:15 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
You wrote:
"NEGOTIATING WITH THE DEAD: A Writer on Writing -
Margaret Atwood
Well thought and well written. Who is this chick? She acts and thinks like Wordwind."

This is the author of a disturbing and important book on the necessity of sexual equality & separation between church and state called "The Handmaid's Tale." I highly recommend it.

"STILL LIFE WITH WOODPECKER - Tom Robbins
I told you."

If you liked this one, try "Another Roadside Attraction."

Me - my wife got a hold of some advance reader copies of "War of Honor" (author forgotten) that is my big novel for the summer. Otherwise, I'm reading an anthology of fantasy/scifi short stories. I'll also be reading Peter F. Hamilton's "The Reality Dysfunction/Neutronium Alchemist/Naked God" series. In the meantime, I'll start working on some classics. I want to read some Nabocoff and Hemingway (see if I like him any better as an adult than as a teen).

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.

Cheers,
Bryan

#70845 05/28/02 11:58 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M

As well, others are only wretched and unworthy as you consider them to be.

But Bryan, Thanks. I will read "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Another Roadside Attraction".

And you read Hemingway's "Across the River and Into the Trees" you'll like it better as what you are now, as opposed to what you were then.

milo

#70846 05/29/02 12:00 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
"The Handmaid's Tale" Don't shoot me, I know this is a summer reading list thread but The Handmaid's Tale was a very good movie.

#70847 05/31/02 08:35 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
As usual, it is better to read it too - you understand it better. But yes, the movie was good too (I've always liked Elizabeth McGovern's work.)

Cheers,
Bryan

Cheers,
Bryan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,504
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 187 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,666
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,924
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith