Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#67062 04/28/02 03:35 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
to paraphrase Dorothy Parker "a human is like a teabag - you never know how strong
they can be until you see them in hot water."

Very good, SM! Parker is one of my favorite wits! Indeed, I quoted her elsewhere a couple of days ago.

I'm very glad to see you on here; you've introduced some really good stuff to this board!

#67063 04/28/02 03:44 PM
old hand
old hand
...the world seems so steeped in egoistic corporate power and the de-selfing of the common person (as seen in the term "consumer" usurping the place and implicit rights of "customer") that I go overboard with exaggeration at times.

Geoff, just this morning I finished reading Fast Food Nation ~ if any reader finds even *half* of Schlosser's case plausible, you're not exaggerating. It's not particularly word-related, but if anyone else has read it, I would welcome discussion of the topics via PM.

#67064 05/06/02 12:22 PM
A
A
And getting back to the whole Who-the-heck-is-Shakespeare thing, there's also the point that basically none of the extant copies of the plays were actually "written" - by hand - by their purported author; many were written after Bill died, almost certainly by the actors who played the parts. So if Hamlet doesn't remember Polonius' lines very well... or Nurse doesn't remember Romeo's lines... we certainly can't claim to have 'authoritative' versions. And how could we, anyway? Playwrights at the time didn't publish their plays - they wrote for their company, shaping characters for actors, and having their words regularly changed in rehearsal and performance. The whole idea of a static text would have been foreign; it's quite a modernist idea, as far as I can tell (but don't get me onto Eliot's Wasteland...). And does it matter? Nah. I still get a kick out of Lady Macbeth and the various fools, so who really cares who gets the credit? It's just easier to attribute to a single body...

alexis =]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 953 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith