I'm afraid philander may have been corrupted beyond redemption; to wit:

[ad. Gr. adj., loving or fond of men, (of a woman) loving her
husband, f. -, PHILO- + , - man, male, husband; hence used as a
proper name in story, drama, dialogue; in later use esp. for a lover (perh.
misunderstood as = a loving man).
Thus in Ariosto's Orlando Furioso, Filandro was the youth beloved and ruined by the
lustful Gabrina; and in Beaumont and Fletcher's Laws of Candy, one of the personages is ‘Philander Prince of Cyprus, passionately in love with Erota’; but the name seems to have been more particularly matched with Phillis, as in quot. 1682. Cf. PHILLIS.]

1. a. A lover; one given to making love. Obs.

[a1682 (title of Ballad) The faithful Lovers Downfal: or, The Death of Fair Phillis Who
Killed her self for loss of her Philander. Ibid., Philander, ah Philander! still the bleeding Phillis cries, She wept awhile, And she forc't a Smile, then clos'd her eyes and dyes.] 1700 CONGREVE Way of World V. i, I'll couple you! yes, I'll baste you together, you and your Philander. [1709 TATLER No. 13 1 Enter'd Philander, who is the most skilful of all Men in an Address to Women.] 1794 C. PIGOTT Female Jockey Club 99 Those philanders of former times once led Captivity Captive, too happy to be bound in her fetters. 1813 MOORE Post-bag viii, Bring thy best lace, thou gay Philander!

b. A love-making or philandering.

1898 G. B. SHAW Philanderer I. 78 It was nothing but a philander with Julia -- nothing else in the world, I assure you.

2. A name given to certain marsupial animals (also FILANDER).
[From the name of Philander de Bruyn, who saw in 1711 in the garden of the Dutch governor of Batavia the species named after him (in a), being the first member of the family known to Europeans. (Morris Austral Eng.)]

a. A small wallaby (Macropus brunnii) first described by Philander de Bruyn. b. A South American opossum (Didelphys philander). c. An Australian bandicoot (Perameles lagotis).

1737 [see FILANDER3]. 1753 CHAMBERS Cycl. Supp., Didelphis, the name by which Linnĉus calls the animal called philander by other writers. 1896 List Anim. Zool. Soc. (ed. 9) 215 Didelphys philander,..Philander Opossum.

so the Greek sense of a lover of men seems to have never made it into English at all, and "a lover" is considered to be an obsolete sense -- all we're left with is philandering marsupials!

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/