OK, I can buy that the spear comment was taken out of context and wasn't the cause of as much offense as the press makes it out to be.

However, on the same visit, I quote http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1848000/1848813.stm:

Earlier, the royal visitors toured Kuranda rainforest by train and cable car. The Queen launched two new aircraft at the Cairns Base of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. She praised the organisation's work in a radio broadcast to the Cairns School of Distance Education, whose 500 pupils are scattered across the Outback. Members of the school's band, which practices over the radio, welcomed the Queen and Duke with their rendition of God Save the Queen. After the performance, Prince Philip asked the young musicians: "You were playing those instruments, weren't you? There are no tape recorders under your seats?"

Of all the insulting, idiotic things to say. What's the address for Buckingham Palace? I have a roll of duct tape that the Queen might find useful.