In answer to a PM on the subject, I replied:-

"Ta" is an extremely frequent Brit abbrev. for thank you - sometimes with a superlative added, such as, "Ta much", or even, "Ta a Mill." (million, in case you wondered!)

It can be a bit confusing at times, when we use another abbrev. for "good-bye" - "Tat-ta". If you are ina rush, and someone hands you something just as you rush off, you might find yourself saying, "Ta! Tat-ta."

Jo has averred that it is common in the North of England, and I will confirm that it is just as common in the south.

"TTFN" - definitely "Ta-ta for now," meaning "good-bye for the present" - came from a radio show that was immensely popular in UK during the Second World War. It was used by comedian Tommy Handley to end the programme each week and very swiftly became a popular "catch-phrase". So far as I can make out, it was a dig at the burgeoning use of initials by the military during the war. EDIT: sorry - just realised I haven't said the name of the show, which is extremely relevant! it was called ITMA - acronym for It's That Man Again! ("that man" being Tommy Handley, of course)

Another one that stems from the same period was "DVM&WP" which was used as caveat to accompany a promise of future action, as in, "I'll complete the repair by next Tuesday, DV, M & WP"

The usual small, but magnificant, prize for the first ayleur to unravel what that means!