Windfarms sound great, but I saw an article that in many areas, even small bug smears reduce efficiency almost thirty percent. And new one in UK promptly was put out of action by blade fracture, I'll bet from hitting a bird. Elsewhere windfarms kill many birds. And I haven't seen any discussion of problems with blade icing in cold weather, which destroyed early MIT unit on Mt.Washington many years ago.

Bill, This may be the case but that is down to poor planning and placement. The windfarms in Ireland will be placed on a sandbank 60 miles east of the coast. This sandbank experiences no winds under 60mph (thus rendering it treacherous to bugs) and is too inhospitable to be any good to passing birds so they shouldn't suffer. As for the icing it is a natural problem with mechanical parts, is it not? Obviously some maintenance is necessary especially in such an exposed part of the world.

But despite all the cons they are clearly outweighed by the pros. 250,000 homes powered by wind within the next two years!! It speaks for itself.

Next stop, tidal power.