|
|
#51275
12/31/2001 3:41 PM
|
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 10,542
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 10,542 |
this is by way of being a brag of sorts, I suppose, but I hope that it proves to be of some use to us here: I have just set up access to OED Online from the Minneapolis Library through a proxy server. I now have access to the updates to OED through June, 2001. for instance:
emoticon - A representation of a facial expression formed by a short sequence of keyboard characters (usually to be viewed sideways) and used in electronic mail, etc., to convey the sender's feelings or intended tone. Examples are the sequences :-) and :-( representing a smile and a frown respectively. 1990 N.Y. Times 28 Jan. I. 39/4 Emoticon typographical device used to indicate tone or emotion in a posting. 1994 Observer 13 Feb. (Life section) 8/3 Hence the development of ‘netiquette’, essentially on-line codes of behaviour, and ‘emoticons’ or ‘smileys’, little text ideograms which are used to signal sense (e.g. :-) to show good intentions, ;-) a wink to indicate irony). 1997 Vancouver Sun 29 Jan. D13/3 Mitchell and Murphy ask their clients to convey their emotions within square brackets rather than using the normal e-mail emoticons. 2001 Guardian(Electronic ed.) 24 Feb., Imagine the horrors of being poised over your mobile phone and suddenly forgetting the necessary emoticon.
note the use of the electronic ed. of the Guardian for the last citation! :-D
|
|
|
#51276
12/31/2001 6:43 PM
|
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 11,613
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 11,613 |
And are you keeping this lovely (congratulations) access all to yourself?  Do you take requests? 
|
|
|
#51277
01/03/2002 5:59 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,661 |
...a wink to indicate irony...Given the *discussions  we have had here about the intention and/or meaning of "irony", I may never use it again. 
|
|
|
#51278
01/03/2002 6:20 PM
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 6,296
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 6,296 |
Did I miss something important? tsuwm, can you give us a link in addition to the wink?
WW
|
|
|
|
Forums16
Topics13,917
Posts230,568
Members9,211
| |
Most Online17,319 Apr 8th, 2026
|
|
|
|
|
|