I'm not setting out to challenge or support any branch of medicine being of the opinion that if it works for you - great.

However, in so saying, it's always struck me how the same symptons presented to a range of practitioners are diagnosed and treated in such different ways. Take migraine headaches for instance - and allow me some latitude in making my point.

Western GP's will often diagnose a slipped this or a pinched that and prescribe pain killers. It's also a good opportunity to do an MRI or CAT scan to identify any malignancies or circulatory system malfunctions.

A physiotherapist will diagnose likewise, but concentrates moreso on manipulative therapies and/or exercise.

A herbalist will propose a range of teas.

A chiropractor always seems to find a miss-aligned pelvis or shoulder girdle and sets about correcting this.

An acupuncturist fills you full of needles.

A naturopath links the problem to diet and proposes a whole new food regime.

And so we go. Obviously each of the practitioners is batting to their strengths - what else could they do? My problem arises when the practitioner OR the patient dumps on the other methods - a sort of unwarranted cultural arrogance.

In my opinion.

stales