Yes, Mrs Bucket (bouquet! that is!) used the word in the episode i watch saturday night, in the meaning of # 3 from your sited defination

WEIR—(1) A dam in a river to stop and raise the water, for the purpose of conducting it
to a mill, forming a fishpond, or the like. When uncontrolled, the weir is termed a
fixed-crest weir. (2) A fence of stakes, brushwood, or the like, set in a stream, tideway,
or inlet of the sea, for taking fish. (3) A device for determining the quantity of water
flowing over it from measurements of the depth of water over the crest or sill and known
dimensions of the device. (4) A bank or levee built to hold a river in its bed, or to direct it
into a new bed. (5) (Water Quality) A wall or obstruction used to control the flow from
settling tanks and clarifiers to assure a uniform flow rate and avoid Short-Circuiting. Types
of weirs include:

[1] Broad-crested;
[2] Sharp-crested;
[3] Drowned; and
[4] Submerged.

and then a friend, looking down on the Hudson river (near Bear Mt) thought he saw on in the river... which startled me.. in early days, explorers thought the Hudson might be the northwest passage since unlike most of the river on the east coast of US, it did not have a waterfull as it passed through the mountains.. so, i sort of thought of a weir as some sort of slight dam... to contol rapids, or flow..

turns out he saw a causeway for RR tracks running parallel to the river... but still an odd word to hear twice in 24 hours...