What an interesting discussion!
A few comments: living in New England gets you a range of light and dark ... come Dec 21 it will be pitch black at 4:30 p.m. EST and sunrise is about 6:15 a.m. Then in on June 21 it stays light until about 9:30 p.m. EDT and sun rises at 5:30 a.m. And talk about temperature fluctuations! Summers we can get up to 95 no problem and in winter it can go down to 20 below zero for days at a time! There's a general attitude that if you survive to 40 you'll live to be 90!
Years ago the US Air Force discovered that most pilots who ferried airplanes around the US had problems adapting to constantly changing light and temperature. There were a few who seemed to have far fewer difficulties. On researching "why" it was determined that the pilots with greatest adaptability to changes were all from the North East!
As to complexions. I met my India friend Roshan in Spring when I had my very pale (Irish) winter pallor while he had a sun burnished complexion I envied. When he visited in July he noted my tanned skin and commented "You have lost your lovely color." It's all in the eye of the beholder!
It is Dec 1 and 70 degrees on NH Seacoast today ... breaking a record set in 1802!(/i)