Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and btw, they weren't kidding about Dannevirke, take it from someone who knows.

Seconded. I think I had the worst feed of fish and chips I've ever had from the Dannevirke Fish Supply. Bulls is crap, too. Te Awamutu is twaddle. Auckland was built where it is because they needed somewhere to put all the ignorant twats who think that "Shortland Street" is some kind of Kiwi cultural statement. Kind of explains why there are 1,000,000 people there. The alternate theory is that they just needed somewhere to put a gas station so people could fill up between Kaitaia and Bulls.

The rumour is that volcanic activity under Auckland is increasing and that one day One Tree Hill, Mt Hobson, Mt Wellington and all the other old volcanoes will blow their tops and wipe the place off the face of the earth. The rest of us are praying to Vulcan ...

And, if you hadn't cottoned on, Westies are the Kiwi version of rednecks. But the fact that the authors used it marks them down as Aucklanders. No one in the rest the of the country would be so crass as to use the term. Roll on the geothermal activity ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
old hand
old hand
M
Seconded. I think I had the worst feed of fish and chips I've ever had from the Dannevirke Fish Supply. Bulls is crap, too. Westies are the Kiwi version of Rednecks. -Capital Kiwi

Boy, Cap, and I thought it was the "Burms" from Birmingham that you were mad at. Boy-hidie, give you a bad feed of fish and chips and you are ready blow up the place with volcanos. And like you said..."Bulls is crap, too."

Well, try as I may, I can't generate much hatred for the Alabama version of Westies, it'd be kinda like the Rednecks calling the Trailer-trash "[white]".

But still, my beloved kin-country folk can match faux pas to faux pas with the best of yours. and if you think that "Te Awamutu is twaddle." just read below...

Errata, Alabama

Ten years after the War Between The States the L&N RR made a preliminary map for a proposed track route connecting Birmingham with the marble quarries of Sylacauga, Alabama. The map was flawed, it showed the tracks running on the wrong side of a ridge. The mapmakers caught the error and printed ERRATA at that place on the map. At that place in the real world, cotton farmers became much pleased when they found out that they had been living in the community of Errata and began acting proud. The Railroad went along with the joke and built a coaling station there with a big sign that read Errata. The town of Errata never amounted to much, but the sign is still there and Errata still appears on state maps.

Bug Tussle, Alabama

There wasn't much in the way of entertainment for a poor dirt farmer in Blount County during Prohibition. The Free Will Baptist Church provided diversions for the ladies, but the menfolk had only Saturday afternoon gatherings at Guffey's General Store to do their bonding, as it is current to call it.
One day early last century two Giant Pincher Beetle were discovered fighting in the dirt in front of the store. These Beetles fight for territory, and they fight until one throws the other on it's back. The overturned beetle can't right itself and slowly dies. Sometimes these battles go on for hours, the Beetle battle that day went on well past supper time, well after all the white lighting was gone, and in memory, it became the highlight of the menfolk's social life for years to come.

Today the Bug Tussle Steak House serves a 24 ounce steak. If you can eat all of it you don't have to pay.

City of Tarrant City City

New York City is so named so it could be easily distinguished from New York State. There is no state named Tarrant.
For whatever obscure and inane legal reason the State of Alabama township incorporation papers, incorporate the cities name in this manner...
The city of__________________city.
Insert Tarrant City into the blank and the presumptuous town is incorporated today as above.

Last year Tarrant City changed it's name to just plain Tarrant.

#4856 04/18/02 01:50 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, milum, I am rolling! (Ow!) Those are great stories! Are these from your book?

#4858 04/20/02 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Errata be a law against things like that

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Loved your explanations of place names, Milum. I wish that our Victorian forebears in Zild had had the same senses of humour and lack of literacy!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#4860 04/23/02 02:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In the early 1800s, a plank road ran west from Detroit, and when the sixth terminal stop was settled as a village, it was named (perhaps also in conjunction with the concept of "new") No. VI --> Novi.

#4861 04/23/02 07:35 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Wrapping us back to Jazzo's original post, Cincinnati originally had a different name: Losanteville.

Cincinnati is on the Ohio River where the Licking River flows into it, and from this comes the earlier name, through a polyglottal process of jamming words together: ville (city en Francais) ante (across from in Latin) os (mouth in Latin) and "L" for Licking, so "City across from the mouth of the Licking River."

#4862 04/23/02 07:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Beloit, Wisconsin was originally Turtle, but the inhabitants soon decided that Turtle wasn't uptown enough for their tastes so they decided to call it Belotte from the French word for beautiful. They thought about it for a while and decided that Belotte sounded a little too rough so they decided to spell it Beloit and pronounced it to rhyme with Detroit.

#4863 04/23/02 11:28 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
ROTFLMAO faldage, for reasons you couldn't know: my father-in-law lives in Beloit.

The city lies in Turtle Township (Turtle Creek) runs through it, and the police squadcars thus must suffer the ignominy of bearing as their insignia Turtle Police.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 953 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith