About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#46892 11/07/01 06:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It always amuses me in retrospect about all the ruffles put up about certain songs in the mid-Sixties due to sexual imagery, or supposed sexual innuendo. I'm a Kinks freak from way back, and love all their work...and Lola was, as said, one of those judged lyrically startling for its time. Among others the list would include are The Kingsmen's Louie Louie (so garbled I still don't think anybody knows what they were really saying), The Standell's Dirty Water, and Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels' Sock It To Me Baby!. You could actually go all the way back to Little Richard...just what was it that Miss Molly sure liked to do? But then, after all this "controversy," just a few short years later in '72, Lou Reed charts a Top Twenty hit with Walk on the Wild Side! How quickly times changed!

By the way, here's a great music site where you can look up the background and history to every artist and every song ever recorded in every genre! http://AllMusic.com And there's a link there to a sister site for all classical music.

#46893 11/07/01 01:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the link, Sweet WO'N. It's handy indeed. And oh my, speaking of changing times--have you listened to current pop music lately?? Yow.

#46894 11/07/01 05:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on blue berry hill..

there was an effort to have this song censored in NY back in the 50's...

and another commercial site with a music database (all song, all artist, all titles,) and down-loadable rippers and burners for them that have read/write cd's is
http://www.gracenote.com

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

In the Kinks' recording, the word at "muddled" is indistinct, but it is clearly a word of one syllable, not two. Draw your own conclusions of what it may be.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think it was in Reader's Digest that I read J. Edgar Hoover at times cross-dressed. But nobody ever dared to make a song about it.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
See-oh-el-aye cola

[rant]What kind of cr*p is that? Why not just write "C-O-L-A cola"? [/rant]

As to the ending of the story, everybody knows that what Lola wants, Lola gets...

The Kinks were such a great band. The story goes that, to produce the desired dstortion in their guitars on "All Day and All of the Night" they stuck needles into the speakers in their amplifiers. I've always loved their song "Better Things" too. Well, not always, but ever since I heard it...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Kinks were such a great band. The story goes that, to produce the desired dstortion in their guitars on "All Day and All of the Night" they stuck needles into the speakers in their amplifiers. I've always loved their song "Better Things" too. Well, not always, but ever since I heard it...

They must've been new speakers. When I first saw them (let me count the years ... not) they didn't need to "produce" the desired distortion, their speakers were so knackered that they were rattling in their boxes.

I was playing in bands at that time (and for years afterwards), and I solved the problem of producing humbucking-type distortion by having my brother-in-law, who was an electronic technician, alter the amp circuitry so that I could get "11 out of 10" (hi there, tsuwm and Nigel!). He basically replaced the standard Holden pre-amp circuitry with Marshall pre-amp circuitry. You overdrive the pre-amp and a nicely, unevenly distorted sound is presented to the power amp to fire at the speakers. I don't believe that the Kinks didn't know about this if I did!

Producing electronic sustain was a completely different problem. Sheer volume is the only real answer to this in terms of the big boys ('ello, Led Zep, Deep Purple and Jimi), but the rest of us used various kinds of electronic gimcrackery to get what we wanted or near as dammit, at lower volumes. The pickups on my Gibson SG were specially overwound (as were Pete Townshend's), and I put the output from my Strat through a box which attenuated the sound to some extent before it hit the amp.

And despite what Keiva has said above (I think it was him), the Kinks didn't substitute anything for "muddled" in their live performances of Lola, or at least not the two I saw. Unlike the Stones' "Star Star", where they did substitute words on stage - "fuckin'" for "proper" - Jagger belting it out with gusto and with unsubtle pelvic thrusts for every substitution.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
See-oh-el-aye cola

[rant]What kind of cr*p is that? Why not just write "C-O-L-A cola"? [/rant]

Mercy, Honey, calm down--it was just a phonetic spelling intended to illustrate the way it sounds in the song, ok?
{Aside--hmm, possibly another victim of the rush-through-to-catch-up malady, which I expect to fall victim to any old time now.)

stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
See-oh-el-aye cola

When copying the text from the link I considered altering it to C-O-L-A but thought that the original poster's effort to get the sounds across was interesting and innovative. I've not seen it done this way before and, for the song under discussion, it doesn't matter. It'd be the way to go however if the letter Z was involved in the rhyme - "zee" or "zed" depending where you're from.

.... ecks, why and zee
Now I know my aye - bee - see
Won't you come and play with me

stales

D
addict
addict
D
FWIW, I'd pronounce see-oh-el-aye as coli. And as we're online, why not make it e-coli?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,415
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 807 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,586
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith