You are correct, Jo, that the getup I described for weddings is properly called "morning dress", as "evening dress" is the narrower swallow-tail coat, black, with black trousers (satin stripes on the side of the legs, no cuffs), wing collar and white bow tie and single-breasted white waistcoat (black tie and waistcoat is a permissable, but seldom seen, alternative). You don't hear the term "tuxedo" that much in more proper circles because it is considered déclassé; the correct term is "dinner jacket" and an invitation requesting that one wear it does, indeed, say "black tie". No real gentlemen would ever wear one in any color other than black, midnight blue being a possible exception, and the white version only in Florida or other tropical clime. BTW, the French word for dinner jacket is "smoking" and that is the notation on an invitation, sometimes leading the inexperienced to expect a smoker, which is a horse of another color (blue).

Weddings in the late afternoon or in the evening are popular here; my son's wedding last year was in the garden of a 200 year old inn at 6:00 p.m.; the gentlemen wore dinner jackets. We attended a very elegant wedding a few years ago at the great Basilica in downtown Baltimore which was at 7:00 p.m.; men wore the soup and fish, as it's called here -- full evening dress (white tie).

Not to introduce a food topic, I find it interesting that English wedding cakes are fruit cakes. Fruit cake is an object of jokes here. American wedding cakes are usually a plain white cake, sometimes yellow, with white buttercream icing with lavish decorations, although I have been to weddings with a chocolate cake (white icing) when the principals were chocoholics.